CBD challenges BLM permit for Colorado NSS Convention

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: CBD challenges BLM permit for Colorado NSS Convention

Postby tncaver » Jul 7, 2011 7:44 am

All cavers should be writing their US legislators to support the Government Savings Litigation Act. This act will limit groups like the CBD in the future if it is
passed. Do it now or there may not be any future caving. Below is a sample of the letter I wrote the US legislators from my state. You are welcome to use
it as a template for your own letter to your state's US legislators. Frankly I think the NSS should be sending letters and/or emails out to all of it's members
requesting they support this act. It amazes me how little effort has been put forward by the NSS to keep caves open (exlcuding the efforts by Peter Youngbaer).

Government Savings Litigation Act

Dear Senator XXXXXXX,

Please support the Government Savings Litigation Act to be introduced in Congress by Senator John Barrasso (R-Wyoming) and Wyoming Representative Cynthia Lummis.

Here is a link to an article describing the need for this legislation. This is a bill that will save billions of dollars for taxpayers and help businesses to remain in existence as well.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/view-from-baja ... al-groups/

Thank goodness someone is stepping up to the plate with a common sense law that will save taxpayers and businesses money while preventing the kind of abuse that environmental groups have been practicing against the government and people of the United States of America.

Environmental groups are in essence specialty groups. Government is supposed to be of, by and for the people, not of, by and for specialty groups. Yet in the past 30 years, the opposite has occurred. Some environmental groups are abusing the Environmental Species Act (ESA) with a large volume of litigation designed to make money off the government. Some of these groups such as the Center for Biological Diversity, are primarily composed of lawyers and have very little to do with proven science.

Perhaps those environmental groups once served a useful purpose but today they have become a nuisance with the intent of draining the US treasury.

Please help America to recover from our economic downturn by passing the Government Savings Litigation Act. This act is not only about money going down the drain, it is about common sense and the future of this country’s businesses and freedoms.
Last edited by tncaver on Jul 7, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby VACaver » Jul 7, 2011 7:46 am

From their FB page: "The Center for Biological Diversity works through science, law, and creative media to secure a future for all species, great or small, hovering on the brink of extinction."

I guess lying falls under "creative media".
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Postby BrianC » Jul 7, 2011 8:57 am

tncaver wrote:All cavers should be writing their US legislators to support the Government Savings Litigation Act. This act will limit groups like the CBD in the future if it is
passed. Do it now or there may not be any future caving. Below is a sample of the letter I wrote the US legislators from my state. You are welcome to use
it as a template for your own letter to your state's US legislators. Frankly I think the NSS should be sending letters and/or emails out to all of it's members
requesting they support this act. It amazes me how little effort has been put forward by the NSS to keep caves open (exlcuding the efforts by Peter Youngbaer).

Government Savings Litigation Act

Dear Senator XXXXXXX,

Please support the Government Savings Litigation Act to be introduced in Congress by Senator John Barrasso (R-Wyoming) and Wyoming Representative Cynthia Lummis.

Here is a link to an article describing the need for this legislation. This is a bill that will save billions of dollars for taxpayers and help businesses to remain in existence as well.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/view-from-baja ... al-groups/

Thank goodness someone is stepping up to the plate with a common sense law that will save taxpayers and businesses money while preventing the kind of abuse that environmental groups have been practicing against the government and people of the United States of America.

Environmental groups are in essence specialty groups. Government is supposed to be of, by and for the people, not of, by and for specialty groups. Yet in the past 30 years, the opposite has occurred. Some environmental groups are abusing the Environmental Species Act (ESA) with a large volume of litigation designed to make money off the government. Some of these groups such as the Center for Biological Diversity, are primarily composed of lawyers and have very little to do with proven science.

Perhaps those environmental groups once served a useful purpose but today they have become a nuisance with the intent of draining the US treasury.

Please help America to recover from our economic downturn by passing the Government Savings Litigation Act. This act is not only about money going down the drain, it is about common sense and the future of this country’s businesses and freedoms.

:woohoo: :clap: :kewl: :bananabat: :banana: :banana_yay:
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Jul 7, 2011 9:21 am

BrianC and ALL NSS members,
Please write your legislators in support of the Government Savings Litigation Act and encourage all your friends to do the same.
Since the NSS is not going to step up to the plate and become truly proactive against this kind of tyranny by a bunch of ill informed
lawyers, I respectfully ask that all NSS members write their US legislators in support of the above mentioned act. Failure to do so
may result in loss of all cave access eventually.

The CBD is now attacking the NSS directly with their current lawsuit suing to stop convention goers access to caves. How much
worse do things have to get before cavers will start to protect their own interests?
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bigredfoote » Jul 7, 2011 12:21 pm

Here are some other pages with information on the bill.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-1996

and opinions
https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/hr1996
bigredfoote
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 45211
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pajarito

Postby NZcaver » Jul 7, 2011 4:24 pm

bigredfoote wrote:Here are some other pages with information on the bill.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-1996

and opinions
https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/hr1996

Very interesting. In the last link, people can also submit their own comments to congress about it. I wonder if the NSS will be submitting an official statement on this?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby MUD » Jul 7, 2011 5:33 pm

NZcaver wrote:I wonder if the NSS will be submitting an official statement on this?

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby tncaver » Jul 7, 2011 6:43 pm

Cavemud wrote:If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

That is somewhat meaningless. Care to elaborate Cavemud?
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Jul 7, 2011 7:02 pm

Well we're kind of the small guys compared to the CBD.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby pub » Jul 7, 2011 7:32 pm

hewhocaves wrote:But ooh.... time to go toss another rant onto the CBD's Facebook page!

Ran across my new word for the day on their FB:
On CBD’s Save Our Bats FB page, John Lovaas wrote:Ah! So many misleading statements, exaggerations and omissions- I literally do no know where to begin. Make dinner, cut some firewood; then I might know where to begin the dissection...

Mollie- I was sorting through my old Earth First! Journals and Wild Earths this weekend, and came across a favorite term from back in the day-

"Biostitute".

Remember that? Scientists who would lie, mislead, deceive and perjure- all for personal gain? I was a young man back then, but it baffled and saddened me that there were actually biologists that would act like that, all for a paycheck.

How far have some people come- or more accurately, how low have some people gone...

Money Changes Everything, doesn't it?

Wordspy.com defines Biotitute in their Biostitute page:
Wordspy.com wrote:biostitute

(by.AWS.tuh.toot) n. A biologist who supports a company or activity that is harmful to the environment.

biostitution n.

...and quoted JFK, Jr. and others:
Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., "Scarborough Country," MSNBC, May 25, 2004 wrote:I think the organization that Myron works for is an organization that is funded by the coal industry, by the oil industry. And for 20 years, they've been trying to deceive the American public by housing these phony scientists. We call them biostitutes who are lying and deceiving the American public and saying there's no such thing as global warming.
Last edited by pub on Jul 7, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby tncaver » Jul 7, 2011 8:27 pm

Regretfully I think there are some speleostitutes around too. But biostitutes outnumber the speleostitutes by far. Then again, some of these folks
are probably speleo-biostitutes. Sad. :yikes: Back to the topic now.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Jul 8, 2011 12:26 pm

:rofl:
tncaver wrote:Regretfully I think there are some speleostitutes around too. But biostitutes outnumber the speleostitutes by far. Then again, some of these folks
are probably speleo-biostitutes. Sad. :yikes: Back to the topic now.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Jul 10, 2011 10:29 am

The CBD lawsuit (Complaint for Declaratory Relief) was filed in Washington, D.C. District Court on July 6, and entered on the Docket July 8.

Docket number is 1:11-cv-01241-JEB

PM me with your email address, if you want a copy.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby tncaver » Jul 10, 2011 8:14 pm

muddyface wrote:Well we're kind of the small guys compared to the CBD.

How many members do they have? NSS has 10,000. But if they do nothing, it might as well be 0.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Jul 10, 2011 9:18 pm

They claim a membership of 320,000 on their website and they have millions more in funds than the NSS. So it's a band of dwarves cavers against lots of lawyers with money.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

PreviousNext

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)