CBD challenges BLM permit for Colorado NSS Convention

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: CBD challenges BLM permit for Colorado NSS Convention

Postby Jon » Jul 11, 2011 12:38 am

Seems I remember a quote about the first thing lets do........ and it has something to do with lawyers.....

?
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby pub » Jul 11, 2011 2:17 am

tncaver wrote:Regretfully I think there are some speleostitutes around too. But biostitutes outnumber the speleostitutes by far. Then again, some of these folks are probably speleo-biostitutes. Sad. :yikes:
...and sadder when they have a lot of juristitutes doing their dirty work! :down:
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby cavermom » Jul 13, 2011 5:36 am

Any lawyers that the NSS could afford isn't going to cut it at this stage, not against something as big as CBD. I don't think anything short of somehow gaining general public support could stop CBD. Just thinking out loude here... Maybe the NSS could put together an educational program about WNS and promoting cave access that we, the members, could take to schools and libraries for public awareness. Maybe some fliers to go with the program. Maybe invite the press to the programs. The best thing the NSS has going for it is its people.
cavermom
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 43579

Postby tncaver » Jul 13, 2011 7:55 am

This lawsuit is not filed against the NSS, "The Center for Biological Diversity filed a lawsuit today challenging the Bureau of Land Management’s issuance of a “special recreation permit” to the National Speleological Society".

Therefore the NSS needs no lawyers. However, the BLM may just lay down and roll over rather than fight the CBD. It will be interesting to see how this wraps up.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jul 13, 2011 10:28 am

it would be nice if they had the balls and tell them to pound sand.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby tncaver » Jul 13, 2011 11:40 am

Yep. I hope the BLM will stand up to them. It would be nice if a federal judge would dismiss their case as being a frivolous lawsuit.
However, I doubt that will happen. I also fear that cavers won't really wake up until AFTER the CBD succeeds at killing off caving,
and moves on to killing off hiking, boating and every other sport that requires the great outdoors. By then it may be too late to
do anything about it.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)