New York bats survive WNS, reproduce!

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

New York bats survive WNS, reproduce!

Postby ON_ROPE » Jun 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Little Brown Bats in New York state have been found to survive WNS infection over several years. Evidence of reproduction was also noted. Looks like the bats are tired of waiting on a government recovery plan and are taking matters into their own wings (hands).
http://www.FWSPUBS.org/doi/pdf/10.3996/022011-JFWM-014

Safe Cavin, clean cavin,
Allen Padgett
ON_ROPE
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 10371
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Re: New York bats survive WNS, reproduce!

Postby self-deleted_user » Jun 17, 2011 1:06 pm

YESSSSSSSSSS! GOOOOOO LITTLE BATS!!!!!!!! :D

Also, I think a better title would be:
"Little Brown Bats Take Measures Into Their Own Paws; Science Works, Bitches!"
:woohoo:
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jun 17, 2011 6:11 pm

hmmm while this article DOES have good news let's not overstate the findings.

1) it covered only 2 years.

2) based on cultures, the "rate" of WNS at the colony was 10% in 09' and nearly 50% in 10'

3) 0nly 14 of the 95 bats banded in 09' were seen in 10' and of those 14 only 5 showed wing damage (presumable WNS) in 09'.

4) the colony declined 88% from 08' to 10' and had exactly 3 reproductive females make it from 09' to 10' and this is the largest known summer colony in the State. Do the math. I'll add that this colony is in essentially perfect conditions. A purpose-built bat box on a protected military reservation that has LOTS of nearly ideal habitat.

It is not surprising that bats making it to spring are able to reverse some WNS impacts due to food supplies andd warm weather. It was surprising that at least a few bats WERE able to persist through 2 winters.

One explanation could be partial resistence. Another could be that some bats are able to fully recover from WNS during summer feeding and thus re-enter hibernation in top condition. With dropping bat numbers, the possibility that the remaining bats can exploit abundant food levels seems high.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Jun 17, 2011 8:31 pm

This study does provide some hope that there will not be an extinction, but that the little browns will continue to exist in much smaller populations. Though, what interests me is if and how different bat species compete for roosting space, kind of how you said wyandotte, that less bats means the ones that remain could take adavantage of more abundant insects. So with little brown bats declining, would the empty spaces left in caves, mines, and abandoned structures be occupied by other species that do not seem to be affected by WNS? So in theory species like big browns and Virginia Big Ears could increase in population if more roosting habitat is made available to them.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby wyandottecaver » Jun 17, 2011 8:49 pm

muddy,

increases in big brown numbers at decimated NY hibernacula have already occured in some cases.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)