Cave closures in Kentucky?

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave closures in Kentucky?

Postby KeyserSoze » Jun 10, 2011 3:36 pm

I'm trying to find out what the current laws are in regards to the cave closures in Kentucky. I'm aware that the USFW has definitely closed caves on National forest land (Daniel Boone), but I was also under the impression there were blanket closures on state land also. I was doing research to confirm this and I cannot find any reference to caves being closed on state land such as parks or Wildlife Management Areas.
This signature is really funny
KeyserSoze
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61069
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Re: Cave closures in Kentucky?

Postby rlboyce » Jun 10, 2011 5:17 pm

I had the same problem at one time with WV and MD. Then I realized I didn't much care as the caves I was interested in weren't even known to the DNR anyway. Haven't taken advantage of that fact yet though. Yeah, I'm bad...

If you are really curious, you should be able to track down someone from the state easily enough, especially a bat biologist or something. I found out who the MD contact was by looking at WNS PRs on the MD DNR website, they had the guy's name right on the PR.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Re: Cave closures in Kentucky?

Postby PYoungbaer » Jun 12, 2011 11:15 am

I have not seen a Kentucky cave closure order, and there is none on the website of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources. Neither is there a WNS plan on the website. However, in their 2009 letter to private cave owners in Kentucky the department states,
"In Kentucky, non-commercial state and federally-owned caves have been temporarily closed due to caving activities."

That letter in full can be found here:

http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/noticetocaveowners.pdf

Person to contact would be Brooke Slack at KY Fish and Wildlife Resources.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)