Any more WNS in TN caves?

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Any more WNS in TN caves?

Postby tncaver » Jun 7, 2011 7:59 am

According to the new WNS map (dated 06-01-2011) posted on the NSS main page under the WNS link, no new WNS is shown in the state of Tennessee.
However, I had heard that there additioinal WNS found this year in TN. Does anyone know the facts? Currently the only caves shown to have
WNS, are the same as last year and they had only one or a very few infected bats and if I remember correctly, those bats were culled from the cave.
I think it was Cory Holiday of The Nature Conservancy who mentioned that more WNS had been found somewhere this year and the map does not indicate that.

It seems that WNS information has dried up in the past year.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Any more WNS in TN caves?

Postby BrianC » Jun 7, 2011 9:13 am

tncaver wrote:According to the new WNS map (dated 06-01-2011) posted on the NSS main page under the WNS link, no new WNS is shown in the state of Tennessee.
However, I had heard that there additioinal WNS found this year in TN. Does anyone know the facts? Currently the only caves shown to have
WNS, are the same as last year and they had only one or a very few infected bats and if I remember correctly, those bats were culled from the cave.
I think it was Cory Holiday of The Nature Conservancy who mentioned that more WNS had been found somewhere this year and the map does not indicate that.

It seems that WNS information has dried up in the past year.

Kinda makes the theory that WNS is not the culprit, but rather a byproduct of something else realistic. Good skin bacteria being compromised by bad bacteria? I have stated this theory all along.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby TNCave » Jun 7, 2011 10:13 am

Hi guys,

Sorry, I've been pretty busy lately and not on here for several weeks. There will be a complete presentation about the winter 2010-11 WNS surveillance at the TN Bat Working Group meeting at FCFSP on November 18, but I'll be happy to give a quick update.

As we are still learning how best to survey for WNS, we pushed back our survey efforts until Feb 15-April 1 this year. This gives the fungus time to grow and increases your chances of finding field signs of WNS. This comes at the expense of reduced bat numbers as our highest cave bat numbers are in January-early Feb. Much of our effort was on middle TN, looking for new/expanded sites. Outside of the Clarksville/Montgomery County area, there was no observed exansion of WNS in middle TN. Our first big site this year was in response to a local caver's entrance check of a known Mont. co. bat cave. She reported hearing bats in the entrance of the cave. Upon inspection, the cave was in pretty bad shape with some mortality and many bats showing advanced signs of fungal growth. The bats sent off were confirmed + for WNS by the NWHC in Madison. This cave is within 20 miles of the KY site that was confirmed later. We also saw field signs of WNS in another nearby cave in Mont. Co., but did not send off bats as the county has already been confirmed.

Other middle TN sites looked much like last year. Our caves that were G.d. positive last year showed little to no increase in % affected and mortality. Our north-east TN sites were more representative of what they've seen in the northeast U.S. with a much higher % affected this year and mortality documented in both sullivan and Carter counties. Much like year two for northern sites, our Sullivan county cave had a huge increase in the overall number of bats, but the % affected by WNS was greatly increased. The Carter Co. site had mortality, missing bats, and a much higher % affected. In the northeast, they count missing bats as mortality, but we are not doing that in TN yet. We only count them as dead if we see them. As scavengers pick them up pretty quickly, we mostly counted hanging dead bats.

As a note of caution, I should say that these observations do not represent a complete picture. This information is based on only 65 caves that people turned in data for, and a few of those were entrance checks. Although we have data for more caves overall in TN this year, we actually have less from east TN, where we might expect to see more signs of WNS than in other parts of the state. It is natural for all of us to draw conclusions from our observations, but I'll say that the information is limited in all regards. There are still many unknowns about WNS in general and 65/9600 caves is less than 1% of caves in TN. One thing also to keep in mind is that TN, especially middle and west TN are not the northeast. Our climate is different, our bats are sometimes different, even the same species of bats often have different hibernation strategies in the southeast than the northeast. Everything we know about WNS is based on how it is expressed in the northeast. I'm hopeful the south will be different, but for now, we have much to learn from a small annual window each winter.

Best Wishes,

Cory
TNCave
Occasional Poster

Postby tncaver » Jun 7, 2011 10:26 am

Thank you Cory.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby TNCave » Jun 7, 2011 11:25 am

Anytime.
For more detailed info, come out to the TN Bat Working Group meeting at FCFSP in November.
TNCave
Occasional Poster

Postby BrianC » Jun 7, 2011 11:34 am

tncaver wrote:Thank you Cory.

Ditto!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Pippin » Jun 7, 2011 12:48 pm

Thanks for the update, Cory!

Cavers visited lots and lots (and lots) of privately owned caves this winter, and nobody I know saw anything suspicious. I visited several TN caves over the winter and made a point to look for bats, and then to closely look at the bats for signs of WNS. I didn't see anything suspicious. Just another example of how Tennessee biologists could tap into the knowledge and experience of the caving community to develop a much better picture of what's actually going on in Tennessee--but y'all have to start working with us like real partners. :grin:
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 22545

Postby TNCave » Jun 7, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi Pippin,

See my other post in the WNS board for details about an upcoming workshop.

Best Wishes,

Cory
TNCave
Occasional Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)