CBD's Facebook page

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

CBD's Facebook page

Postby Pippin » May 27, 2011 10:08 am

Some of you have found the CBD's new Facebook page aimed at promoting their "Close All Caves" initiative. I think cavers should go there and post the truth about WNS, cavers, what we do to protect bats, and the real way WNS spreads. That will help non-cavers who visit the page figure out that CBD is not being totally honest. I just posted the CDC's report on bat translocation. I'm planning to monitor the site and post information pretty often since posts scroll off after a while, and I hope many others of you will do the same. It's quite annoying to have to "like" the page to comment, but I'm willing to do that!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Our- ... 2665913965
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 22545

Re: CBD's Facebook page

Postby nathanroser » May 27, 2011 12:32 pm

I posted on there and actually got a response directly from the page administrator. And I do love debating based on facts and reason, so it'll be a good one.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby wyandottecaver » May 27, 2011 2:43 pm

I think it would be prudent to caution folks that if you can't be extra polite, stay off their page. Cavers have enough PR problems already. Whether your argument is right or not, trashing someone in their own house always looks bad.

Posting references to studies or information that contradicts their statements is fine. Asking them to provide documentation is fine. But their FB page is NOT cavechat, and you shouldn't act like it is. Just sayin.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » May 27, 2011 2:49 pm

Pippin wrote:Some of you have found the CBD's new Facebook page aimed at promoting their "Close All Caves" initiative. I think cavers should go there and post the truth about WNS, cavers, what we do to protect bats, and the real way WNS spreads. That will help non-cavers who visit the page figure out that CBD is not being totally honest. I just posted the CDC's report on bat translocation. I'm planning to monitor the site and post information pretty often since posts scroll off after a while, and I hope many others of you will do the same. It's quite annoying to have to "like" the page to comment, but I'm willing to do that!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Our- ... 2665913965

Please keep us posted so numbers of us don't have to "LIKE " their page.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » May 27, 2011 3:51 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:I think it would be prudent to caution folks that if you can't be extra polite, stay off their page. Cavers have enough PR problems already. Whether your argument is right or not, trashing someone in their own house always looks bad.

Posting references to studies or information that contradicts their statements is fine. Asking them to provide documentation is fine. But their FB page is NOT cavechat, and you shouldn't act like it is. Just sayin.

It's facebook, not a private business. If they didn't want public criticism, they wouldn't be on a public facebook.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Pippin » May 27, 2011 4:18 pm

No, Wyandotte's right. The reason to post info to their page is to educate non-cavers about the lunacy of the CBD's approach and also to educate them about all of the things cavers have done for bats, and ARE doing for bats. The posts I've seen so far are very logical and simply based on facts. We just need to monitor it and post corrections to all of the inaccurate information CBD is circulating. So far, it seems like the vast majority of posters are cavers! I'm waiting for them to start deleting our comments!
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » May 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Pippin wrote:No, Wyandotte's right. The reason to post info to their page is to educate non-cavers about the lunacy of the CBD's approach and also to educate them about all of the things cavers have done for bats, and ARE doing for bats. The posts I've seen so far are very logical and simply based on facts. We just need to monitor it and post corrections to all of the inaccurate information CBD is circulating. So far, it seems like the vast majority of posters are cavers! I'm waiting for them to start deleting our comments!

All while they laugh at using your NUMBER as a supporter of their facebook page. One caver informing the rest of us is enough. Explain that you are doing exactly that, and that you have the support of thousands of cavers all under your name.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » May 27, 2011 10:04 pm

I succumbed after reading some of the posts.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Pippin » May 29, 2011 3:56 pm

It really hurt to poke the "Like" button, didn't it? :yikes:
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » May 29, 2011 6:06 pm

Pippin wrote:It really hurt to poke the "Like" button, didn't it? :yikes:

Not something I wanted to do for sure! Needed to get some stuff straight though!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)