The WNS "jump" sites

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

The WNS "jump" sites

Postby David Grimes » May 14, 2011 1:03 am

I was just browsing the internet and the USFWS website in the WNS area. I decided to click on a link about decontamination procedures and was surprised to find that they specifically mention that they are concerned humans spread WNS because of the few "jump" sites. It says that the sites were likely infected by humans because they were all heavily visited caves that contained few bats. I was not aware that the jump sites were heavily visited, is this true and which sites are they considering the jump sites?
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Re: The WNS "jump" sites

Postby Scott McCrea » May 14, 2011 6:03 am

Dear USFWS,

Please stop using the term "jump." It is not science. It is speculation and assumption. If you don't know why, you should not be doing science.

Sincerely,

Cave Jumpers of America
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby David Grimes » May 14, 2011 11:49 am

I was really more curious because they mention these caves are popular enough that cavers would travel from WNS areas just to visit these particular caves but as far as I know none of the "jump" sites were in the general TAG area. I believe the alleged Oklahoma bat is one of the sites they are referring to and like wyandottecaver said when that info first came out, who goes to Oklahoma to go caving?
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby nathanroser » May 14, 2011 1:03 pm

David Grimes wrote:who goes to Oklahoma to go caving?

Some person I know up here in Syracuse went in some random pothole in Oklahoma years ago. As far as this "jump" idea goes it's really the only thing that supports the possibility of human transmission, but is really just a speculation. The Oklahoma bat tested positive for the fungus, but someone else here who knows a bit more about mycology says that similar fungi in the Geomyces genus can appear to be G. destructans when tested. The other jump people look at is how WNS was confirmed in southern NY the winter of 2007-2008, and suddenly the next year appeared as far south as VA, and WV. But if you look at the new cases across Pennsylvania for the winter of 2008-2009 it follows a path right along a major cave and mine region there. It is said that the distance between souther NY and the counties in the Virginias are outside the annual flight range of a bat. What I think happened is that NY bats spread it to PA bats, then the PA bats went further south the same year since different colonies intermix during summer and fall. So the disease did not in fact "jump", it was relayed between different colonies along the same migration corridor.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby BrianC » May 14, 2011 4:14 pm

muddyface wrote:
David Grimes wrote:who goes to Oklahoma to go caving?

Some person I know up here in Syracuse went in some random pothole in Oklahoma years ago. As far as this "jump" idea goes it's really the only thing that supports the possibility of human transmission, but is really just a speculation. The Oklahoma bat tested positive for the fungus, but someone else here who knows a bit more about mycology says that similar fungi in the Geomyces genus can appear to be G. destructans when tested. The other jump people look at is how WNS was confirmed in southern NY the winter of 2007-2008, and suddenly the next year appeared as far south as VA, and WV. But if you look at the new cases across Pennsylvania for the winter of 2008-2009 it follows a path right along a major cave and mine region there. It is said that the distance between souther NY and the counties in the Virginias are outside the annual flight range of a bat. What I think happened is that NY bats spread it to PA bats, then the PA bats went further south the same year since different colonies intermix during summer and fall. So the disease did not in fact "jump", it was relayed between different colonies along the same migration corridor.

We were able to determine this the second that it occurred, but we were ignored because it didn't fit the USFWS agenda! That is not surprising when you look at the insecticide usage costs supposedly associated with bat deaths in the north that they are using now,and asking for more money because of. Totally out of this region by factual concerns, but they are still using this. Funny thing is, they must know that they are misleading the public, or they are just plain stupid. Either way, they should either be jailed, or look for work that they are qualified for like flipping hamburgers.

This should not be against the TOS because it is relevant!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 14, 2011 5:23 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Dear USFWS,

Please stop using the term "jump." It is not science. It is speculation and assumption. If you don't know why, you should not be doing science.

Sincerely,

Cave Jumpers of America

:exactly: :thanks:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby wyandottecaver » May 14, 2011 6:38 pm

:roll:

yea, the USFWS should start a daytime talk show right after jerry springer. The "jumps" to heavily visited caves was in fact 1 jump. From NY to VA. The heavily visited cave had few bats. BUT was very close to another major hibernacula....... :shhh: The fact that many PA bat sites are crevices not accessible to people means we dont even know if this was a real "jump". Finally, the "jump" was indeed farther than the *normal* annual ranges of bat movement. It was well within recorded single-bat flying distances from tracking data though.

Just because I do most of my caving in a 100 mile radius doesn't mean I haven't before, or can't go farther, and it certainly doesn't apply to the TAG junkies in my grotto who may travel 400-500 miles every other weekend.

Most of the other "jumps" have indeed been to gated, infrequently visited caves....well they are frequented by bats :tonguecheek:
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » May 15, 2011 7:51 pm

Here's another fact about the so-called "jump" - according to the Northeastern Cave conservancy cave visitation database, which is cited by the USFWS, less than 20% of the visited caves listed were checked the next year, and there are literally hundreds of others unchecked by wildlife biologists. This was due to the funding streams supporting primarily only endangered bat monitoring.

Another fact: the "jump" cave affected bat was discovered by a newbie caver with a camera. It's entirely possible that there were many infected caves in between, but only because people were observant and reporting did this get described as a "jump."

It is indeed speculation.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby BrianC » May 15, 2011 8:03 pm

PYoungbaer wrote:Here's another fact about the so-called "jump" - according to the Northeastern Cave conservancy cave visitation database, which is cited by the USFWS, less than 20% of the visited caves listed were checked the next year, and there are literally hundreds of others unchecked by wildlife biologists. This was due to the funding streams supporting primarily only endangered bat monitoring.

Another fact: the "jump" cave affected bat was discovered by a newbie caver with a camera. It's entirely possible that there were many infected caves in between, but only because people were observant and reporting did this get described as a "jump."

Given the facts that these speculations were created by myth, would it be safe to say that asking for restrictions from caving to be lifted, would be in perfect order? Demanded?
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JSDunham » May 16, 2011 6:07 am

PYoungbaer wrote:Another fact: the "jump" cave affected bat was discovered by a newbie caver with a camera. It's entirely possible that there were many infected caves in between, but only because people were observant and reporting did this get described as a "jump."

Actually, I think there were definitely infected caves in between--if I recall correctly, the alleged "jump" was measured from the WNS initial sites to one site in VA, ignoring the possibility of leap-frogging through known infected sites in south-western NY and at least highly suspect sites in PA.

And unless some caver grabbed a bat in NY and dropped it in OK, outliers can fly several hundred miles.
JSDunham
Frequent Poster

Name: John Dunham
NSS #: 55186
Primary Grotto Affiliation: VCA

Postby Teresa » May 16, 2011 8:10 am

The first Missouri WNS cave reported is on private land, and only very very infrequently visited by active cavers. The cave is pretty tight in places, mostly undecorated, and contains trash. It is one of the larger caves in that county and pretty well-known to locals but it is a significant bat cave.

Missouri has more show caves than any other state; to my knowledge, all these are clean, as are well-known and moderately heavily visited caves on public land, even though public land cave closures here are only one to two years old, Many to most of our significant caves have some bats in them sometime during the year.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » May 16, 2011 8:56 am

JSDunham wrote:Actually, I think there were definitely infected caves in between--if I recall correctly, the alleged "jump" was measured from the WNS initial sites to one site in VA, ignoring the possibility of leap-frogging through known infected sites in south-western NY and at least highly suspect sites in PA.

:roll:
This pic was taken in August 2008 in a small unknown central PA. cave. Huntingdon County. I don't know what it is but it looked weird enough to photograph.
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby PYoungbaer » May 16, 2011 11:58 am

Curious picture - especially for the summer. One of the bat noses looks like it has a spot - but no way to really tell. I've seen lots of bats with marks like that on their arms and ears. Sometimes it's WNS; sometimes not. Without a lab test, we'll never know.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » May 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Here's one taken at the same cave in January 2009. Without a lab test we'll never know huh? Haven't seen any bats in this particular cave since. Sad.
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby PYoungbaer » May 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Looks like WNS to me.

It's interesting that the latest European study shows that the Geomyces destructans fungus is hardly present early winter, but overtakes 70% or more of the bat colony by spring. Yet, no mortalities.

We see the same growth pattern here in the U.S. - little visible presence in early winter, but then, wham. However, our bats die. What's the difference? (Note: that's a rhetorical question without an answer at the moment).
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)