How WNS articles can spread the wrong message

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

How WNS articles can spread the wrong message

Postby Ernie Coffman » Apr 3, 2011 10:32 am

When I first read the beginning of this article - http://framework.latimes.com/2011/04/02/bats-journal/ - I was flabberghasted, for the guy had written that he was going on an assignment, to go to New Mexico to see bats that might be infected with WNS. :yikes: Wow! This was something that I hadn't prepared for this a.m., which meant something had happened that I wasn't prepared for this early in the morn. But, as you read the article, you find out that that wasn't the case, but just a slip of the pen in his writing. :doh: Thank goodness! :bat sticker:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: How WNS articles can spread the wrong message

Postby Teresa » Apr 3, 2011 10:54 am

*That's" the LA Times? Incredible. I'm incredulous. And this guy got *paid* (and travel expenses probably) for this?

That's poor fact gathering, worse story organization, horrid writing (he throws away his clothes before entering the cave? What an image... especially since he throws them away again at the end of the article) and irresponsible infotainment. Ain't journalism.

Where does he live? I'll go whack him over the head with my pica pole. No doubt, he never saw one, and won't know what hit him.

Disgustedly, (Especially since he's getting multiples of the Internet hits on his story than mine generate.) :down:
Teresa

P.S. He said he couldn't use any flash equipment, just flashlights for photos. Looking at the pics, what was he using, one of those million candlepower night spotting scopes?
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: How WNS articles can spread the wrong message

Postby nathanroser » Apr 4, 2011 9:29 am

"In preparation for the trip I was told that I would have to throw away all of my clothing, shoes, and try to disinfect my camera gear with baby wipes."

The way it's worded sounds like this guy showed up with no clothes on and only a camera before suiting up to go underground. And I'm wondering why there was no input from the experts he was supposed to be with.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)