USFW Reopens Caves nationwide

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

USFW Reopens Caves nationwide

Postby JSDunham » Apr 1, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks to Steve Hazelton, who pointed me to this article on USFW finally coming to their senses!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/01/envir ... se.html?hp

The text of the article is below:
From the Associated Press:

US Fish and Wildlife officials called for a reopening of caves and mines this morning, a surprising reversal of their longstanding position on the bat disease known as White-Nose Syndrome. The disease was first noticed in the non-commercial section of Howe Caverns in northeastern New York in 2006 and has since spread across most of the east coast, killing more than a million bats. In 2007, US Fish and Wildlife issued an advisory asking the public to stay out of caves and mines on the assertion that the spores are carried on hikers boots and clothing.

“It was all a big mistake,” said USFW Bat Biologist Carrie DeFungas. “We never had any evidence that people were responsible and we panicked.” DeFungas went on to apologize for the inconvenience to those who operate caves for their livelihood and individuals who explore them for recreation. New research shows the spread of the fungus is primarily by the bats themselves. “Which means slowing the spread of the disease will be a lot more difficult than issuing advisories,” said DeFungas. “We’ve heard of some interesting front-line tactics being used in Wisconsin and we’re considering applying them nation-wide.”

Peter Youngbaer, liaison to US Fish and Wildlife from the National Speleological Society, could not be reached for comment on the new advisory, but several members of a local grotto were quoted as saying “It’s about f@#king time.”

State Agencies have announced their intention to drag their feet on the change, however, with no plans to reopen their caves. Stu Tough, of the New York Department of Parks and Recreation responded to questions on the legality of ignoring the notice with the statement “USFW has no jurisdiction over our lands in the first place. We only closed to caves so we could scoop all the booty ourselves, and you can bet we’re not giving that up. Turns out caving is lots of fun.”
JSDunham
Frequent Poster

Name: John Dunham
NSS #: 55186
Primary Grotto Affiliation: VCA

Re: USFW Reopens Caves nationwide

Postby wyandottecaver » Apr 1, 2011 4:35 pm

Ha nice April 1 post
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 1, 2011 5:58 pm

And more related news ...

ASSOCIATED PRESS
APRIL 1, 2011

In a surprising announcement today, Ms Guided of the Center for Biological Diversity said their longstanding campaign to close all caves nationwide in an effort to protect endangered bats has been a "gross error."

"We acknowledge the bats themselves are the only proven vector in the spread of WNS" she said. "We now recognize that caving enthusiasts around the country are part of the solution, not the problem." Cavers are already familiar with hibernacula sites, they have the skills to move through caves safely and efficiently, and are very careful not to disturb bats. "Their powers of observation and genuine concern for the cave environment make them a valuable resource. Most of us really don't have a clue about caves, but they do."

Ms Guided went on to say, "rather than continuing our crusade to sue everybody and alienate cavers, we've decided to pay attention to actual scientific data and try adopting a cooperative approach."

The caving community is reported to be speechless. While no official response has been released, one caver was heard to say "it's about f@#king time."
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby YuccaPatrol » Apr 1, 2011 7:34 pm

Could someone please send this to USFWS folks? They need to read this.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby tncaver » Apr 1, 2011 7:43 pm

Fact is, this is what all these agencies should be sending to the media for real. :big grin:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Apr 1, 2011 8:52 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :clap:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby BrianC » Apr 2, 2011 8:58 am

What, no reason to rant anymore? :shrug: I don't know what to say! :shrug:
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 2, 2011 5:32 pm

BrianC wrote:What, no reason to rant anymore? :shrug: I don't know what to say! :shrug:

Better find a new hobby! Have you tried caving? :rofl:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby BrianC » Apr 2, 2011 6:20 pm

NZcaver wrote:
BrianC wrote:What, no reason to rant anymore? :shrug: I don't know what to say! :shrug:

Now that it's legal again, I think I'll hit some state park caves this weekend. Oh Yea! :banana_yay:
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Apr 2, 2011 8:06 pm

BrianC wrote:
NZcaver wrote:

Now that it's legal again, I think I'll hit some state park caves this weekend. Oh Yea! :banana_yay:

This is exactly why we have disclaimers in the TOS. :cavingrocks:
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 2, 2011 9:04 pm

I saw the title and thought ":o awesome noway about time!"
I saw the date of the first post and thought "oh, somehow I missed this thread yesterday.

Happy April Cruel, eh?

:sadbanana:
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)