Caving: The Other Casualty of WNS?

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Cheryl Jones » Mar 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Excellent article! Ravenswood media produced the film Battle for Bats

by Ken Redeker
redeker@ravenswoodmedia.com

Bats are beloved. Everyone wants what's best for them. But like a family confronting sickness in one of their own, it can either pull them together or drive them apart. White Nose Syndrome (WNS) is that divisive disease.

At the conservative end of the spectrum is the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) which advocates a blanket closure of all caves on public land from the east to the west coast. On the opposite end, are many cavers from the National Speleological Society (NSS) who suggest only closing caves that are home to large bat populations. Caught directly in the middle of the controversy is the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (US FWS).

Read on (scroll down to the article)
http://www.midwestfrogs.com/newsletter/ ... letter.htm
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: Caving: The Other Casualty of WNS?

Postby LukeM » Mar 29, 2011 9:32 am

Very interesting article with some great variety of perspective, but the conclusion seems to be that we should cooperate with organizations like the CBD even while they have openly stated they don't see a way to do the same with us. Molly Matteson: "at this point, I don't see a lot of room for compromise with the NSS." I also didn't really understand the author's statement that he needs to suppress what he believes to cooperate with the USFWS. Maybe it's just worded in a weird way and what was meant is that he has to suppress his gut instinct and go with what he intellectually thinks is necessary? :shrug:
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby boogercaver71 » Mar 29, 2011 11:05 am

At this point, no one is certain what is causing WNS or how it's being spread.

First of all, calling the CBD "conservative" is a joke. I think they are one rung above eco-terrorists. Next, the quote above is wrong. We know for a fact that bats spread the fungus to other bats, what is unsure is whether or not humans spread the fungus from cave to cave. As far as the USFWS goes, they do what ever Fish and Game tells them to do. The CBD is mainly a well funded lobbying group which I believe they (lobbyists) should become extinct.
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby Cheryl Jones » Mar 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Very interesting article with some great variety of perspective, but the conclusion seems to be that we should cooperate with organizations like the CBD even while they have openly stated they don't see a way to do the same with us.

Communicating with, and including CBD on the group of wildlife conservation non-profits groups working together on WNS funding issues, is not the same as "cooperating" with them.
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby LukeM » Mar 29, 2011 12:45 pm

I understand the sentiment, but here's the problem as I see it: If the CBD's message advocating for increased WNS funding gets through to decision makes, you can be damn sure they'll see that their message of (essentially) "close and gate all caves" will get through at the same time. How does the NSS successfully work with a group like that, especially when they've already stated no desire for compromise? How could we ever get both organizations names on the same piece of paper? Seems crazy to me.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Mar 29, 2011 2:02 pm

The efforts of groups like the CBD are good for making sure that things like mining and gas drilling don't end up blowing up caves or contaminating the water. But keeping caves (and other sensitive environments) closed to all human access is in reality counterproductive when it comes to conservation. If people are not able to go out and enjoy these places, no one is going to care about protecting them because we will lose our personal stake and connection with the issue. I think seasonal closures of caves to prevent disturbance to important bat populations are acceptable, and in particularly hazardous or pristine caves access should be limited to properly equipped and experienced people to keep the ne'er do wells from causing trouble.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 29, 2011 5:18 pm

I like Ravenswood, but you have to remember they are dependent on grants just like a lot of others. They aren't advocating a position per se' as much as giving a forum to the different perspectives. Overall the theme of the article was balanced in showing differing viewpoints...not necessarily the truth.

Molly Matteson can't reconcile with the NSS or the USFWS. Ever. You cant raise money for a "war" without a war. People aren't going to "save bats" by paying CBD lawyers if the CBD says the USFWS and the NSS are doing the best job possible already.

The take away message for me, was that Ann, who has been touted as the caver's voice in the USFWS is not. She accepts as fact (as does the USFWS) that human transmission is likely and WNS must be managed that way despite logic and science to the contrary.

The time for convincing the USFWS is past. Now is the time to convince our "partners" that actually matter....Cave Owners.
Last edited by wyandottecaver on Mar 30, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 29, 2011 9:57 pm

LukeM - collaboration does not equal cooperation. The efforts the NSS has been involved with pursuing funding with these organizations result in sign-on letters that are vetted by all of us, and working to educate folks on Capitol Hill. I can tell you that both Cheryl Jones and I work on this, and there is a fair amount of us educating most of them about caves for context. BCI is also good in that regard.

We do influence the approaches. For example, when all the congressional funding we successfully got in 2009 went only to US Fish and Wildlife, we were the lone entity pushing to spread funding among agencies. Now, all of us are advocating for that. In 2009, if it wasn't for my working personally with Vermont's Senator, Patrick Leahy and New Jersey's Frank Lautenberg, the language in the final bill would have only permitted funds to be used for surveillance and monitoring. We got the word "research" into the legislation. Now, all of us are advocating for research funding.

That said, we clearly part ways in other areas, but at least we can collaborate where we do agree.

Muddyface1.21 (was there an earlier version? :wink: ) you are so right.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby LukeM » Mar 30, 2011 8:23 am

Peter, If the CBD can sign their name to a letter discussing WNS that doesn't mention closing caves or human transmission being likely then more power to them. I was assuming that was a slim possibility. I understand the benefit of gaining some credibility in the area of conservation by collaborating with the CBD, and hopefully having a louder voice. What I'd hate to think is that we're lending them some credibility in the area of cave management or giving their voice when it comes to WNS science more authority.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Mar 30, 2011 10:47 am

:wink:
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)