The Latest WNS Statistics

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

The Latest WNS Statistics

Postby tncaver » Mar 25, 2011 5:22 pm

Okay, lets hear it. What are the latest statistics regarding WNS infections NATIONWIDE. I've already read that most evaluations have been done,
even in TAG. What is the hold up? I feel like those in the know are keeping the facts from us. I've also read that some who do know, have been
surprised by the results of their monitoring. What is the hold up? :bananabat:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: The Latest WNS Statistics

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 25, 2011 5:37 pm

TN you crack me up :)

I would assume most TAG caves are done being more south (shorter winter). Some northern sites may still be in progress. THEN they have to wait for lab results which can take many weeks even months. THEN they have to get their bosses and the PR folks to sign off.

I wouldn't expect a lot of official info for at least another month. Of course Peter might be able to get us a scoop earlier.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Mar 26, 2011 8:39 am

Suspect caves can be identified instantly, and should by all reason. Confirmed is determined by lab facts. What has the term "suspect" been created for, if not to give an early identification. I would like to see where Kentucky finds symptoms more importantly, I know that as of two weeks ago, no symptoms were observed in the many caves searched.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Pippin » Mar 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Alabama officially finished the winter inventory last week. Biologists and cavers checked on over 30 bat caves, and cavers kept an eye on other caves that have a few bats here and there, and nobody saw anything even remotely suspicious. No lab reports to wait on for Alabama. Sure pokes a giant hole in the "caver transmission" theory, doesn't it, especially since some of the most popular caves in the country are in northern Alabama. Hmmmm. I haven't heard anything from anywhere else.
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 22545

Postby BrianC » Mar 26, 2011 2:08 pm

Pippin wrote:Alabama officially finished the winter inventory last week. Biologists and cavers checked on over 30 bat caves, and cavers kept an eye on other caves that have a few bats here and there, and nobody saw anything even remotely suspicious. No lab reports to wait on for Alabama. Sure pokes a giant hole in the "caver transmission" theory, doesn't it, especially since some of the most popular caves in the country are in northern Alabama. Hmmmm. I haven't heard anything from anywhere else.

http://www.forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9866 At the end of this thread posted is what was important in 09. Transmission of WNS topped the list for necessary funding needs, Hmmmm.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)