Study of Fulford Cave in Colorado for WNS

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Study of Fulford Cave in Colorado for WNS

Postby Ernie Coffman » Feb 19, 2011 10:01 am

The troops are making a study of Fulford Cave in Glenwood Springs area of Colorado, to see if there's anything possible of WNS being around. :shrug: http://www.postindependent.com/article/ ... ofile=1074
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Study of Fulford Cave in Colorado for WNS

Postby BrianC » Feb 19, 2011 2:45 pm

The closure was a preventative measure that was the result of scientific speculation that the syndrome is likely spread by humans, said Randy Hampton, spokesman for the Colorado Division of Wildlife. The syndrome is also believed to be spread from bat to bat.

These guys are smart aren't they?
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Feb 19, 2011 3:52 pm

BrianC wrote:
The closure was a preventative measure that was the result of scientific speculation that the syndrome is likely spread by humans, said Randy Hampton, spokesman for the Colorado Division of Wildlife. The syndrome is also believed to be spread from bat to bat.

They are as smart as the guy in the picture without a helmet. :big grin:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby BrianC » Feb 19, 2011 4:19 pm

caverdan wrote:
BrianC wrote:

They are as smart as the guy in the picture without a helmet. :big grin:

You caught that too. Brilliant!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Feb 19, 2011 4:36 pm

Looks more like spelunkers to me. I love how the caption for the picture specifically says the cave has many tight spots where crouching and crawling are necessary while the focal point of the photo is the guy without a helmet. Articles and studies like these lose any credibility in the caving community when the people involved do not even know the proper safety procedures that are followed by every real caver.

Did anyone else notice he did not have a light either?
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby boogercaver71 » Feb 19, 2011 7:08 pm

David Grimes wrote:Looks more like spelunkers to me. I love how the caption for the picture specifically says the cave has many tight spots where crouching and crawling are necessary while the focal point of the photo is the guy without a helmet. Articles and studies like these lose any credibility in the caving community when the people involved do not even know the proper safety procedures that are followed by every real caver.

Did anyone else notice he did not have a light either?

And looks like he is wearing tennis shoes
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby dfcaver » Feb 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Easily one of the worst WNS articles I've seen in a while - I guess the western media folks are reading the same press releases as a lot of our eastern ones. It seems we need to restart the education process every month or so.
dfcaver
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 34158
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntingdon County Cave Hunters

Postby BrianC » Feb 20, 2011 9:28 pm

dfcaver wrote:Easily one of the worst WNS articles I've seen in a while - I guess the western media folks are reading the same press releases as a lot of our eastern ones. It seems we need to restart the education process every month or so.

It has obviously been engraved into the entire countries mindset. The reasonable approach should have been directed two years ago.The "education process" has failed miserably. A truthful explanation, not a completely irrational theoretical hypothesis, needs to be run in every major media outlet in this country if humans will get some respect back. No less should be considered.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Steve Pitts » Feb 21, 2011 4:09 am

They have brainwashed everyone (except us) with this stupid theory that is so far not backed-up with a shred of evidence. It is a media propaganda campaign against cavers and the caving community. And, BTW, "troops" from a similar agency want our help to check caves for WNS in Alabama.
Steve Pitts
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 31111
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)