WNS in the Media

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

WNS in the Media

Postby PYoungbaer » Feb 8, 2011 9:56 am

Here's a good comprehensive WNS article from Candace Page, Vermont's Burlington Free Press. Candy has reported on WNS in the Northeast for several years now, and has even accompanied biologists into caves in the field. Candy also did the great three-page spread on cavers and the NSS Convention this summer.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110206/LIVING09/102060304/Scientists-race-to-solve-mysteries-of-bat-killing-white-nose-syndrome

And just an interesting media tidbit: WNS news has made it to the United Arab Emirates:

http://topnews.ae/content/26055-across-usa-bats-getting-affected-wns
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Re: WNS in the Media

Postby BrianC » Feb 8, 2011 10:27 am

PYoungbaer wrote:Here's a good comprehensive WNS article from Candace Page, Vermont's Burlington Free Press. Candy has reported on WNS in the Northeast for several years now, and has even accompanied biologists into caves in the field. Candy also did the great three-page spread on cavers and the NSS Convention this summer.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110206/LIVING09/102060304/Scientists-race-to-solve-mysteries-of-bat-killing-white-nose-syndrome

That was as bad if not the worst article on wns, causing criminal persuasion of the human vector with four sentences stating the human spread. The worst statement describes the theory as the best, because it is stated as the simplest explanation for the spread! I have some simple explanations for his statement, but this boards TOS prevents them!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Feb 8, 2011 10:33 am

PYoungbaer wrote:
And just an interesting media tidbit: WNS news has made it to the United Arab Emirates:

http://topnews.ae/content/26055-across-usa-bats-getting-affected-wns

Short, but only gives credit to the spread by humans, Hmmmmm! Humans are the way it is spread? Really? are they sure? I must get a hold of some of that good stuff they have, cause I don't see it!, but I have been wrong once!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 8, 2011 10:49 am

If WNS was spread by humans, it would be in every country on the planet by now. After all, it originated in New York where there are millions of humans
and many cavers who travel all over the world. Also it is a hub for flights and ships that go to almost every corner of the world every day. Yet, so far
the disease has only been known to kill bats in the USA following almost the exact migration patterns of bats. It's obvious there are some humans
who are very poorly informed or who are intentionally spreading malicious, and incorrect information. :doh:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Feb 8, 2011 11:11 am

tncaver wrote:If WNS was spread by humans, it would be in every country on the planet by now. After all, it originated in New York where there are millions of humans
and many cavers who travel all over the world. Also it is a hub for flights and ships that go to almost every corner of the world every day. Yet, so far
the disease has only been known to kill bats in the USA following almost the exact migration patterns of bats. It's obvious there are some humans
who are very poorly informed or who are intentionally spreading malicious, and incorrect information. :doh:

Thank you John for clarifying this!

When I read that article, I was thinking that the only reason they can get buy with that kind of intelligence insulting talk is that it is in another country! OOps! Wait, I am wrong once again, It happens here in America too!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 8, 2011 11:31 am

Although WNS may have originally come from Europe, via plane or ship, the only bat deaths I've heard of are here in the USA.
Far as we know it originated in this country near one of the major harbors in New York.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Steve Pitts » Feb 8, 2011 11:32 am

I have been studying this issue closely, since our 20 year long survey in Fern Cave has been shut down, possibly forever. As far as I know, there is not one shred of evidence that humans have ANYTHING to do with WNS. There is only a theory that is is possible. This theory has become the basis for closing caves all over the country from Alabama to Montana, and guess what? There is no research being done do asses the validity of this theory. My theory , BTW is that, if people are spreading it, it is cave biologists spreading the disease. And the Fish and Wildlife Service and extremist like the CBD are perfectly happy to leave it this way, and continue to spread propaganda over the media that we are to blame. We are never going to get anywhere without a major battle. Anybody ready to fight back?
Steve Pitts
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 31111
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby PYoungbaer » Feb 8, 2011 11:35 am

BrianC, tncaver,

OK, we all know your opinion on possible caver transport of WNS, but I must defend the reporter here. She's written a very lengthy article here, and wants to draw readers in. Playing on the current publicity for cave movies (Sanctum), she scripts a fictitious and dramatic opening. She says its a movie pitch, for Pete's sake, and then begins the meat of the article with the blunt statement:

"Scientists do not know with any certainty how or why the affliction known as white-nose syndrome appeared suddenly in Howe Cave in 2006."

How much fairer and accurate statement do you want?

Seriously, the rest of the article is an in depth and up-to-date discussion with some of the the leading WNS scientists, covering multiple facets of the WNS investigation, revealing some of the mysteries as pieces have become understood, but also revealing some of the challenges and unknowns, even years into the WNS phenomenon.

Don't shoot the messenger - the ricochet may be fatal. :duck!:
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 8, 2011 11:35 am

spitts wrote:I have been studying this issue closely, since our 20 year long survey in Fern Cave has been shut down, possibly forever. As far as I know, there is not one shred of evidence that humans have ANYTHING to do with WNS. There is only a theory that is is possible. This theory has become the basis for closing caves all over the country from Alabama to Montana, and guess what? There is no research being done do asses the validity of this theory. My theory , BTW is that, if people are spreading it, it is cave biologists spreading the disease. And the Fish and Wildlife Service and extremist like the CBD are perfectly happy to leave it this way, and continue to spread propaganda over the media that we are to blame. We are never going to get anywhere without a major battle. Anybody ready to fight back?

spitts, I think you have it figured out, except that if biologists are following the decon guidelines, they are not likely to be spreading WNS.
That leaves bats as the culprits. However, if there are any humans on the planet that could spread WNS it would be biologists, because they
are the ones who actively seek out bats, handle them and spend a lot of time specifically in caves with bats.
Last edited by tncaver on Feb 8, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Feb 8, 2011 11:52 am

spitts wrote: There is no research being done do asses the validity of this theory.

Spitts,

Simply false. As already posted on another thread, NSS member and caver Dr. Hazel Barton was awarded one of the six major USFWS research grants in October. That's the purpose of her project. We announced this back in the fall, and have posted it again. I understand that it's hard to keep up with all the WNS information floating around, but folks should know about this one in particular. Here's the post. It's on page 15 of the thread, about 2/3 of the way down.
http://www.forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9866&start=210

If you read that post (not repeated here to avoid duplicate posting), you'll also know about the limited research to date on the subject - all unpublished.

Who's ready to fight? We've been pushing back against the ill-advised USFWS caving advisory since before it was issued. This past week's events in Indiana prompted yet another call. That's also posted on another thread here on Cave Chat - second page of the thread, next to last post at the bottom of the page.
http://www.forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=11296&start=15
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Steve Pitts » Feb 8, 2011 12:13 pm

Peter,

OK, thanks for the update, and thanks for your efforts here. Yes it is hard to sift to all of the somewhat obscure info about recent research.

TNCaver.....indeed
Steve Pitts
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 31111
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby BrianC » Feb 8, 2011 12:18 pm

PYoungbaer wrote:BrianC, tncaver,

OK, we all know your opinion on possible caver transport of WNS, but I must defend the reporter here. She's written a very lengthy article here, and wants to draw readers in. Playing on the current publicity for cave movies (Sanctum), she scripts a fictitious and dramatic opening. She says its a movie pitch, for Pete's sake, and then begins the meat of the article with the blunt statement:

The opening fictitious script (movie ?) I wish hadn't even been mentioned as you know I don't like the talk about human vector at all, then not once, but three more times the human vector was mentioned. Why was this so important to state four times?
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Feb 8, 2011 12:37 pm

PYoungbaer wrote:BrianC, tncaver,

Don't shoot the messenger - the ricochet may be fatal. :duck!:

You know Peter, If one article would be written about White Nose Syndrome without putting blame on everything but what it is, I would probably faint! I do know that this won't happen :shrug: and I would not be

criticizing without having a good catchers glove because curve balls are expected. I don't know about a ricochet though :yikes: . What is the worst that can happen? caves will stay closed? Because of me? I am just doing my part, I guess you could say that I am also a messenger!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)