WNS in WV winter 2010-11

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

WNS in WV winter 2010-11

Postby dfcaver » Jan 13, 2011 8:39 am

Report of bats flying outside the caves of Pendleton County already this winter.

http://www.wvmetronews.com/outdoors.cfm ... ryid=42432
dfcaver
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 34158
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntingdon County Cave Hunters

Re: WNS in WV winter 2010-11

Postby George Dasher » Jan 13, 2011 10:44 am

Not good news. But thanks for posting it.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 13, 2011 4:44 pm

Hmm now maybe our bats are different, but I have heard (from uk friends) that it is common for bats to wake up a few times a winter, that it's normal and fine. I just wonder if this is a "bat here and there" type report that is a standard winter occurrence that is just being made note of because of wns scare, or if it really means something.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Jan 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Sungura,

Our hibernating bats regularly arouse from their torpor during the winter, roughly every three weeks under typical circumstances. This varies by species, but, for purposes of this reply, it's normal. They urinate, groom, drink water, and occasionally mate (although that's mostly a fall swarm activity). They don't usually go outside in winter climes. The sighting of bats flying outside in winter, and in the daytime, are tell-tale signs the bats are likely affected by WNS.

If a bat colony is infected, this is about the time it would begin to manifest and become apparent to observers. They are beginning to run out of stored fats. The mortalities associated with WNS increase from now until the end of winter. If this winter is like the last few, we'll see a continuous stream of reports from the WNS "front lines" over the next three months. Right now, that's PA, MD, WVA, VA, and TN. We've been expecting reports from KY, but that didn't happen last year. Same for Ohio and Indiana.

There were a handful of bats in MO and one in OK reported with the fungus, but WNS was not confirmed.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we may see a slowing this year, but only time will tell.

And yes, European bats are different than those in North America. I don't believe any of the species are the same, although there are certainly many in the same (Myotis) genus.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks =) Yeah I know they are different species, I just wasn't sure if behavior was consistent across them at all. So when they wake up, they stay in-cave rather than fly out, is what you are saying is normal? So it is the fact they were spotted outside that is weird, yes?
Just making sure I understand right!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Pippin » Jan 13, 2011 7:42 pm

I hiked up to the largest gray bat hibernation cave (in north Alabama) last weekend and didn't see anything unusual. I was relieved. But it's still early in the winter...
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 22545

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 13, 2011 9:32 pm

I think the important distinction is in degree. It generally would not be unusual to spot an occasional bat flying in winter daylight, particularly near a cave entrance. It IS unusual, and a good WNS sign, when many bats are observed and/or seen repeatedly in the same circumstances.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 14, 2011 1:22 am

wyandottecaver wrote:I think the important distinction is in degree. It generally would not be unusual to spot an occasional bat flying in winter daylight, particularly near a cave entrance. It IS unusual, and a good WNS sign, when many bats are observed and/or seen repeatedly in the same circumstances.

That is something that I couldn't tell from the article itself for sure.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 14, 2011 9:26 am

I would tend to think that Craig Stilher would not have mentioned it unless it was more than a single bat here or there. Also, since there are already known WNS sites in the area its not exactly a surprise.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 14, 2011 9:26 am

I would tend to think that Craig Stilher would not have mentioned it unless it was more than a single bat here or there. Also, since there are already known WNS sites in the area its not exactly a surprise.
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Jan 20, 2011 11:55 am

Craig Stihler reporting bats flying out of Hellhole (LBBs and Pips) at the rate of 28/5 mins during a visit to the entrance on Jan. 18. Said that Virginia Big Ears seem OK so far....
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 20, 2011 12:14 pm

:(
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 20, 2011 6:44 pm

Well at least we won't have to let the Smithsonian murder a new crop of VBE's then.
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Mar 20, 2011 9:34 pm

I was walking along Thorn Creek in Pendleton Co. a few days ago and I saw 4 bats out and about around dusk. It had been warm for several days and the bugs were coming out and they appeared to be feeding above the creek. About 2 days before then some of my friends were out kayaking and they reported seeing similar behavior in the middle of the day above the South Branch of the Potomac River.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)