WI WNS order/report sent to the Legislature

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

WI WNS order/report sent to the Legislature

Postby John Lovaas » Jan 6, 2011 11:50 am

https://health.wisconsin.gov/admrules/p ... moId=10083

The two PDFs at the bottom of the page:

https://health.wisconsin.gov/admrules/p ... ntId=25658

and

https://health.wisconsin.gov/admrules/p ... ntId=25659

are what the legislative committees will review.

I've already found errors in the order document- sigh.

If you'd like to contact the chair of the Environment/Natural Resources committee(the full committee roster isn't available yet), here's the contact info-

State Sen. Neal Kedzie (R-Elkhorn) will chair the the Senate Natural Resources and Environment Committee-
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/senate/sen11/news/index.htm

State Rep. Scott Gunderson( R- Waterford) was named to chair the Assembly Natural Resources Committee, but was chosen by the new DNR Secretary, Cathy Stepp, to be her Executive Assistant. When I find out who his committee replacement is, I'll post that.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: WI WNS order/report sent to the Legislature

Postby BrianC » Jan 6, 2011 12:36 pm

The rule making order is quite strong. I still can't see how wns can be seen as a controllable invasive species. The purpose of being considered an invasive species states( not exact words) the control, by listing, can control the invasive species. The very reason for listing.

Oh Well!!!!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Leitmotiv » Jan 6, 2011 3:59 pm

There aren't too many invasive species you can control. Control is a joke. Mother nature will often get her way, and if you try to stop her, you'll end up contaminating the environment in the process.
Leitmotiv
Prolific Poster

Name: Matt Skeels
NSS #: 53428
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Oregon High Desert Grotto

Postby BrianC » Jan 6, 2011 8:02 pm

Leitmotiv wrote:There aren't too many invasive species you can control. Control is a joke. Mother nature will often get her way, and if you try to stop her, you'll end up contaminating the environment in the process.

Exactly!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Jan 6, 2011 8:33 pm

BrianC wrote:
Leitmotiv wrote:There aren't too many invasive species you can control. Control is a joke. Mother nature will often get her way, and if you try to stop her, you'll end up contaminating the environment in the process.

Exactly!

X 2! :clap:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Pippin » Jan 6, 2011 8:59 pm

Oh, sure they can control WNS as an invasive species. They're going to set up checkpoints at every road entering and leaving WI and spray down every person and everything inside each vehicle with lysol--just in case. Then they're going to also trap every single bat, bird, owl, and every other winged creature entering the state and also spray them down--just in case. Phase II will probably involve capturing all of the terrestrial animals crossing state lines.
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 22545

Postby BrianC » Jan 6, 2011 9:10 pm

Pippin wrote:Oh, sure they can control WNS as an invasive species. They're going to set up checkpoints at every road entering and leaving WI and spray down every person and everything inside each vehicle with lysol--just in case. Then they're going to also trap every single bat, bird, owl, and every other winged creature entering the state and also spray them down--just in case. Phase II will probably involve capturing all of the terrestrial animals crossing state lines.

With all the obvious thought involved in the policy, they probably believe just posting signs at state lines will do fine. Of course the signs will need decon, as well as any living organism inside the state.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Jan 20, 2011 10:41 am

Milwaukee Journal article identifies Pittman-Robinson funds ($345,000) as source of funding WIDNR bat conservation activities. Interesting discussion:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors/114249119.html
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby John Lovaas » Jan 20, 2011 11:06 am

Peter-

Thanks for the article link. Hell, I'm a huge conservation/preservation nut, but I don't think Pittman-Robinson funds should be used for non-game animal related work. That being said, I don't know how strictly use of the funds can be controlled.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Jan 20, 2011 11:10 am

PYoungbaer wrote:Milwaukee Journal article identifies Pittman-Robinson funds ($345,000) as source of funding WIDNR bat conservation activities. Interesting discussion:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors/114249119.html

Lots of closed cave signs could be purchased with that amount of money. Just think, the signs could probably accessorize caves in many adjoining states as well.

:rofl: PS; I was asked to state when I am being sarcastic, well I am!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Jan 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Yes! And if they were shot full of holes, the excise tax on the ammo that did it would fund new ones! Self-sustaining! :rofl:
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby BrianC » Jan 20, 2011 2:12 pm

PYoungbaer wrote:Yes! And if they were shot full of holes, the excise tax on the ammo that did it would fund new ones! Self-sustaining! :rofl:

Very good Peter. :banana:
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Not sure if the author realized it......I doubt it or he would have made the point I'm sure.....He was arguing for new sources of funding for non-game programs, and he used MO as an example of a State using P-R Funds "true to source". The funny thing is MO has a direct sales tax (I think its like .001 percent) for their Department of Conservation. They are flush with cash in comparison to many states.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 21, 2011 1:49 am

With all the obvious thought involved in the policy, they probably believe just posting signs at state lines will do fine. Of course the signs will need decon, as well as any living organism inside the state.

That'll work. The bats will read the signs and turn around. :bananabat:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby tncaver » Jan 21, 2011 9:41 am

John Lovaas wrote:Hell, I'm a huge conservation/preservation nut, but I don't think Pittman-Robinson funds should be used for non-game animal related work. That being said, I don't know how strictly use of the funds can be controlled.

Well, if everyone didn't already know where you stand John, they do now. :laughing: I still appreciate the work you are doing to help bats (excluding any
extremist conservation/preservation plans). :kewl:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)