Changes in WI DNR WNS hearing text

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Changes in WI DNR WNS hearing text

Postby John Lovaas » Oct 15, 2010 6:31 pm

I just noticed some new, more specific information on what the WI DNR proposes to do with the NR40 rule at the hearings page:

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/ce/news/hearmeet.html

"...The proposed changes to ch. NR 40, Wis. Adm. Code, will add the fungus, Geomyces destructans, to the list of prohibited invasive species, allowing the department to effectively manage its spread and limit human transport. The changes would also: give department personnel access to mines or caves to monitor for the fungus that causes WNS; restrict the use of caving and mine equipment inside Wisconsin caves that has been used outside the state; require decontamination procedures for clothing, gear and other equipment that is taken in or near a cave or mine; and allow the department to work with landowners to install and maintain -- at no cost to the owner -- physical barriers to limit access to caves or mines by either people or bats. Existing rules ban the transportation (including importation), possession, transfer (including sale) and introduction of invasive species that are listed or identified as “prohibited”, with certain exceptions. Transportation, possession, transfer and introduction without a permit are exempt if the department determines that the transportation, possession, transfer or introduction was incidental or unknowing, and was not due to the person’s failure to take reasonable precautions. Existing rules authorize the department to enter property with the permission of the owner or person in control of the property and, if permission cannot be obtained, to seek an inspection warrant from the Circuit Court. Entry is only for the purpose of inspection, sampling or control of prohibited invasive species..."
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Changes in WI DNR WNS hearing text

Postby onebat » Oct 15, 2010 7:24 pm

This, along with the part about being able to access a landowners cave with or without his/her permission (court order) is scary to me. It gives me the impression of the state taking over private caves.

>allow the department to work with landowners to install and maintain -- at no cost to the owner -- physical barriers to limit access to caves or mines by either people or bats.
onebat
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 32368
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Spencer Mountain Grotto

Postby tncaver » Oct 15, 2010 7:51 pm

I hope someone will challenge that ruling in court. Big brother growing bigger than ever before. I can't help but think the US Constitution has precedent
over Wisconsin DNR.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Oct 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Existing rules ban the transportation (including importation), possession, transfer (including sale) and introduction of invasive species that are listed or identified as “prohibited”, with certain exceptions. Transportation, possession, transfer and introduction without a permit are exempt if the department determines that the transportation, possession, transfer or introduction was incidental or unknowing, and was not due to the person’s failure to take reasonable precautions.

Scary stuff.
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby BrianC » Oct 16, 2010 8:53 am

onebat wrote:This, along with the part about being able to access a landowners cave with or without his/her permission (court order) is scary to me. It gives me the impression of the state taking over private caves.

>allow the department to work with landowners to install and maintain -- at no cost to the owner -- physical barriers to limit access to caves or mines by either people or bats.

Did anyone actually think this would not happen?
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Oct 17, 2010 12:39 pm

More proposed changed in Wisconsin: They have now added a third proposed rule. According to a document filed on Wisconsin's Administrative Rules webpage, they include the authority to treat bats, such as with fungicides, and also to force cave owners, including cave owners to close their caves to bats. While they graciously say it will be at no cost to cave owners, the owners really have only two choices: Close their cave to everyone, but permit bats to stay; or exclude bats if they want people to continue to enter.

The public hearing dates have also been changed to only October 26 and November 29. Public comments may be submitted in writing (mail) by Nov. 29, but email comments can only be submitted by creating an on-line account. It takes a few minutes.

The new rule language is not yet posted, only a "statement of scope," which can be read here:

https://health.wisconsin.gov/admrules/public/Rmo?nRmoId=10083
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby boogercaver71 » Oct 17, 2010 6:13 pm

or exclude bats if they want people to continue to enter.

Won't that effectively kill the bats anyway? Why bother with concern over the fungus if you lock out the bats. :shrug:
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby tncaver » Oct 17, 2010 7:28 pm

PYoungbaer wrote:More proposed changed in Wisconsin: They have now added a third proposed rule. According to a document filed on Wisconsin's Administrative Rules webpage, they include the authority to treat bats, such as with fungicides, and also to force cave owners, including cave owners to close their caves to bats. While they graciously say it will be at no cost to cave owners, the owners really have only two choices: Close their cave to everyone, but permit bats to stay; or exclude bats if they want people to continue to enter.

The public hearing dates have also been changed to only October 26 and November 29. Public comments may be submitted in writing (mail) by Nov. 29, but email comments can only be submitted by creating an on-line account. It takes a few minutes.

The new rule language is not yet posted, only a "statement of scope," which can be read here:

https://health.wisconsin.gov/admrules/public/Rmo?nRmoId=10083

I'm really disturbed by the fact that so many STUPID individuals are in positions of power in state and Federal government simply because they have
a degree, money, or know someone who got them their job. What a shame that common sense is no longer a viable reason to have a position of
authority. Sorry Benjamin Franklin, you would not be eligible today.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Oct 17, 2010 8:54 pm

tncaver wrote:I'm really disturbed by the fact that so many STUPID individuals are in positions of power in state and Federal government simply because they have
a degree, money, or know someone who got them their job. What a shame that common sense is no longer a viable reason to have a position of
authority. Sorry Benjamin Franklin, you would not be eligible today.

:big grin: Stupid is as stupid does.
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby John Lovaas » Oct 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Here's the agenda item from

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/nrboard/2010/Octo ... Agenda.htm

"...Request adoption of Emergency Board Order IS-49-10(E) and request authorization for public hearings on Board Order IS-47-10, revision to ch. NR 40, regarding the management of bats and white-nose syndrome in Wisconsin (Erin Crain, Ecological Inventory and Monitoring Section Chief, and Gregor Schuurman, Conservation Biologist, 20 minutes)..."

As of this writing, the "green sheet" PDFs explaining what IS-47-10 and IS-49-10 haven't been posted. The deadline for public participation and written comments is at 4PM this Friday.

Sure would like to comment and participate- that's a challenge when there is nothing to comment on.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby onebat » Oct 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Sounds like that is the idea, not to let anyone know what's going on.

>Sure would like to comment and participate- that's a challenge when there is nothing to comment on.
onebat
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 32368
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Spencer Mountain Grotto

Postby John Lovaas » Oct 19, 2010 6:03 pm

WIDNR just posted the PDF discussing their proposed WNS management rules-

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/nrboard/2010/Octo ... 10-3B1.pdf

This will be discussed on October 27 in Madison, WI.

28 pages. Enjoy. Deadline for written comments is 4PM this Friday- send to Laurie.Ross@wisconsin.gov

When submitting a written comment, please provide the following information:

1. Your Name
2. Name of Organization(s) you represent (if none, state that you are "representing self")
3. Topic or agenda item number and whether you support or oppose it
4. City of Residence
5. Phone Number
6. Email or mailing address (to receive confirmation of your appearance or receive a reply to your written comment)
Last edited by John Lovaas on Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby John Lovaas » Oct 19, 2010 6:15 pm

A couple of doozies already-

"...Equipment, gear, clothing and other objects may not be brought or placed into or near a cave or mine
if they have been in or near a cave or mine located outside of Wisconsin..."

Hey- that's me, and everything I own!

"...In the unlikely event that a cave or mine owner refuses to take requested actions to restrict access to
caves/mines to either humans or bats, the department may issue an order requiring such action and if
compliance is not forthcoming may take such actions itself pursuant to an inspection warrant..."

Hm. Property rights- overrated?

"...The cost of excluding bats at a cave with high human visitation would be $100-$500..."

Huh?

And the decontamination procedure- priceless:

"...any person removing any equipment, gear, clothing or other object of any kind from any cave or mine or from within 100 feet of any cave or mine or exiting any cave or mine or the area within 100 feet of any cave or mine with any equipment, gear, clothing or other object of any kind shall immediately decontaminate the equipment, gear, clothing and other objects..."

Yeah- I hear bleach and 409 really help spring wildflowers. Good for oak savannas, as well. Jesus H. Christ...
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 20, 2010 8:06 am

someone contact the ACLU. This kind of stuff is right up their alley.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Pippin » Oct 20, 2010 3:44 pm

I just wrote my response and was able to keep it fairly polite. Have all of your written a letter and asked all of your friends to do the same???
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 22545

Next

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)