R8 closure expiration

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

R8 closure expiration

Postby Mudduck » May 20, 2010 11:20 am

The Region 8 closure order is set to expire tomorrow. I sent an email a few weeks back inquiring about the status and future of this order to my local NF which was forwarded to the Office in Washington which was forwarded back to the local NF wildlife biologist which told me to forward to the Atlanta office which has not sent a response for over two weeks now. Anyone heard anything????????????
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Re: R8 closure expiration

Postby driggs » May 20, 2010 12:36 pm

I spoke on the phone with Dan Arling, an agent with the Monongahela National Forest, regarding the Region 9 (Eastern) closure order expiration. He told me that the Forest Service felt it inappropriate to manage the closure at such a high level, and that Region 9 was intentionally letting their closure expire, and letting individual Forests manage their own closures.

I applaud this as a good decision, but was quite saddened when our Mon National Forest announced their Forest-specific blanket closure (Closure Order 21-104) lasting until mid-2012.

If Region 8's closure appears to be expiring, I'd expect that they are following the same procedure. (I'm not "up" on Region 8 issues, so this is speculation)
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Re: R8 closure expiration

Postby PYoungbaer » May 20, 2010 4:25 pm

Yes. USFS is managing by forest unit now, not by Region. Closures extended so far include Monongahela, Hoosier, and Mark Twain.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)