mo update

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

mo update

Postby activeshooter » May 14, 2010 3:52 pm

new to this part of the forum but in an e-mail I just got, sounds bad for onsr. :down:

Van Buren, MO - Officials at Ozark National Scenic Riverways have announced the closure of all caves in the park effective immediately. On May 2 bat researchers from Missouri State University found an infectious fungus in five gray bats netted just outside a cave in Shannon County, Missouri. The bats tested positive in a genetics test for the Geomyces destructans fungus, which causes White-Nose Syndrome (WNS). Scars on their wings were a clue that the bats probably were infected over the winter, when the fungus grows on the bats’ faces and skin during hibernation. The cool, damp conditions in many caves provide an environment in which the fungus thrives.

WNS is a serious disease that has been responsible for the deaths of over one million bats since its discovery in New York in 2006. The first occurrence in Missouri, the twelfth state to document the disease, was discovered in Pike County in April. Six bat species were known to be vulnerable, but the recent find is the first known case in Shannon County, and the first case in the federally endangered gray bat.

The westward spread of WNS is believed to occur primarily through bat-to-bat contact, but might also be transmitted on the clothes and gear of humans who have visited an infected cave. Closing bat caves to human entry reduces human disturbance of bats, which exacerbates the mortality rate caused by WNS, and reduces the risk of possible human-borne transmission. WNS does not infect other animals or humans.

The four biologists who discovered the infected bats are graduate students supervised by Dr. Lynn Robbins at Missouri State University and are conducting a bat research project supported by a grant from the National Park Service. They had obtained netting permits from the Missouri Department of Conservation, National Park Service, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for that purpose.

The cave, owned by the Missouri Department of Conservation, is on the Current River within the boundaries of Ozark National Scenic Riverways. The name and location are withheld to avoid disturbance of the cave, which contains many natural resources and several species of bats. A cave gate on the entrance prevents trespassers from entering.

Ozark Riverways protects over 300 caves within its boundaries. Access to several of these has previously been restricted in order to protect fragile resources and ecosystems. Due to WNS, the park is exercising caution in managing activities that impact caves and bats. Park Superintendent Reed Detring has determined that WNS is an imminent threat to the cave bats in the park and every effort should be made to prevent or slow its spread.

The park is asking visitors to observe all closures and to avoid other caves or passages of caves that may contain hibernating populations of bats.

Round Spring Caverns will remain open to public tours at this time, although the park will implement screening measures and precautions designed to reduce the risk of human transmission of WNS. Visitors should decontaminate all clothing, footwear, and gear upon exiting any cave in order to reduce the possibility of transmitting the disease. For more information regarding decontamination of clothing and cave gear please visit: http://www.fws.gov/northeast/white_nose.html.

According to Detring, this new policy will be reviewed regularly as new information about the spread of WNS becomes available. “The park’s biologists have been working diligently to gather information about WNS since its discovery and to assess the cave resources at Ozark Riverways. We are using the best scientific data at hand to make decisions about our future management actions in this situation. We will continue to gather information and cooperate with other entities in order to protect these valuable resources.”

The discovery of WNS in Missouri, a state with more than 6,300 caves, is troubling to the state’s leading cave resource experts.

“Missouri is home to at least 12 species of bats,” explained Missouri Department of Conservation Cave Biologist Bill Elliott. “They are our front-line defense against many insect pests including some moths, certain beetles and mosquitoes. Insect pests can cause extensive forest and agricultural damage. Missouri’s 775,000 gray bats alone eat more than 223 billion bugs a year, or about 540 tons. They also play a vital role in cave ecosystems, providing nutrients for other cave life through their droppings, or guano, and are food for other animals such as snakes and owls.”

The National Park Service will join other resource agencies in June to begin work on a comprehensive Statewide White-Nose Syndrome Action Plan to address management of this issue.

Ozark National Scenic Riverways preserves the free-flowing Current and Jacks Fork Rivers, the surrounding natural resources, and the unique cultural heritage of the Ozark people. For more information, visit the park website at www.nps.gov/ozar.

-NPS-
activeshooter
Frequent Poster

Name: greg herin

Re: mo update

Postby tncaver » May 14, 2010 4:48 pm

"The cave, owned by the Missouri Department of Conservation, is on the Current River within the boundaries of Ozark National Scenic Riverways. The name and location are withheld to avoid disturbance of the cave, which contains many natural resources and several species of bats. A cave gate on the entrance prevents trespassers from entering."

Once again cavers were not allowed in the cave, yet WNS was found anyway. Cavers are not the vector.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » May 15, 2010 6:44 pm

tncaver wrote:Once again cavers were not allowed in the cave, yet WNS was found anyway. Cavers are not the vector.

Why is this so NOT surprising?
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby STLCaver » May 18, 2010 9:44 am

Actually, ONSR has one of the best working relationships with cavers anywhere in the country. We monitor, map, report, and advise the ONSR about effective management of their caves. I do not think that cavers are a significant vector, but the chance of a caver being at that cave is very high. We do all of their signing at cave entrances, and help with gating. Don’t knock the ONSR, they have been and are VERY caver friendly. They have actually been the last agency to officially close there caves. CRF has been working closely with ONSR for years. There are cavers on their cave management advisory board. WNS is affecting all of us, but simply dismissing agencies for their course of action gets you nowhere. (I am not an agency employee; I am an active survey slave and fireplace guy by trade).
STLCaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Tony Schmitt
NSS #: 36269 RL-FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG-CRF

Postby tncaver » May 18, 2010 9:53 am

STLCaver wrote:Actually, ONSR has one of the best working relationships with cavers anywhere in the country. We monitor, map, report, and advise the ONSR about effective management of their caves. I do not think that cavers are a significant vector, but the chance of a caver being at that cave is very high. We do all of their signing at cave entrances, and help with gating. Don’t knock the ONSR, they have been and are VERY caver friendly. They have actually been the last agency to officially close there caves. CRF has been working closely with ONSR for years. There are cavers on their cave management advisory board. WNS is affecting all of us, but simply dismissing agencies for their course of action gets you nowhere. (I am not an agency employee; I am an active survey slave and fireplace guy by trade).

Give us some more details. When were the last cavers allowed in the cave and what was their purpose. Were they properly disinfected? etc.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby STLCaver » May 18, 2010 10:29 am

Well I can’t speak for the cavers that where there, but I would bet someone has been there in the last year, checking the gate, the signing and doing a quick monitoring of the site. Again, I do not think cavers are a significant vector. As an example, the first case of WNS in MO was in Pike freaking county, not a hot bed for caving in our state. All I am suggesting is that the agency (in this case ONSR) has been very caver friendly and I am sure they will continue to be. I am not defending the closure of all there caves, actually I think it’s funny, because the Rangers are going to have to do some superhuman things to try and keep folks out. A Saturday on the Current River is busy enough as it is, but trying to keep folks out of every cave on the rivers seems like an impossible task.
STLCaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Tony Schmitt
NSS #: 36269 RL-FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG-CRF

Postby tncaver » May 18, 2010 10:36 am

STLCaver wrote:Well I can’t speak for the cavers that where there, but I would bet someone has been there in the last year, checking the gate, the signing and doing a quick monitoring of the site. Again, I do not think cavers are a significant vector. As an example, the first case of WNS in MO was in Pike freaking county, not a hot bed for caving in our state. All I am suggesting is that the agency (in this case ONSR) has been very caver friendly and I am sure they will continue to be. I am not defending the closure of all there caves, actually I think it’s funny, because the Rangers are going to have to do some superhuman things to try and keep folks out. A Saturday on the Current River is busy enough as it is, but trying to keep folks out of every cave on the rivers seems like an impossible task.

I'm not knocking the ONSR. There are some good conservation organizations and state agencies out there and they are all being "influenced", "persuaded" and who knows what else, by the USFWS to close all caves. I keep hoping that eventually someone or some organization will tire of having their freedoms stolen by our government and sue the crap out of the USFWS. They might get caught in the middle of the CBD and the constitution. Wonder which one will win? :argue:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby boogercaver71 » May 19, 2010 11:36 am

I attended the Missouri Speleological Meeting this past Sunday. There was a discussion about WNS of course and the closure of State owned cave, The jist of what was said was (someone correct me if I am wrong) is that at least the powers that be have concluded that at least in MO, the WNS is not caver related, and what they hope by the closure of all state owned caves is that healthy bats might to start congregating in little used or never used caves to give themselves an out to get away from their sick buddies. I know nothing of bat biology or even psychology, but in my little mind at least they are thinking outside of the box
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby tncaver » May 19, 2010 11:47 am

boogercaver71 wrote:I attended the Missouri Speleological Meeting this past Sunday. There was a discussion about WNS of course and the closure of State owned cave, The jist of what was said was (someone correct me if I am wrong) is that at least the powers that be have concluded that at least in MO, the WNS is not caver related, and what they hope by the closure of all state owned caves is that healthy bats might to start congregating in little used or never used caves to give themselves an out to get away from their sick buddies. I know nothing of bat biology or even psychology, but in my little mind at least they are thinking outside of the box

Agreed. Some bats may even be flying well beyond their normal range to get away from WNS. There were more bats in some caves this winter than normal
here in TN. It was theorized that they might be trying to get away from the disease. Unfortunately, if they already have it, they may be spreading it farther
than normal as well. I did see one bat flying around at 3:30pm this spring, in a place that had not had any cavers for the past 20 years. It may have been
a tree bat because it landed on a tree several times to rest then would fly again to catch bugs. Odd thing of course was the fact that it was 3:30 in the
afternoon. Nights were still quite cool then, so I wondered if the bat was simply catching bugs while it could because it was too cool for bugs to be out
at night. Of course it might also have had WNS. Couldn't tell. This was a few weeks after the huge counter rotating storm we had in early spring
that rotated counter clockwise from New York over Canada, and back to the Midwest then over Clarksville, TN and on to Northeast TN, before going
up the East Coast back to New York again. That scenario went on for about a week. Probably blew and scattered infected bats all over the Midwest and South.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)