Thanks Cavechat

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Thanks Cavechat

Postby bsteffen » May 11, 2010 10:49 am

Hello All,

I just wanted to say thank you to all who have posted WNS info. I am a bat biologist for an environmental consulting company and have been monitoring Cavechat for the last two years. I decided to join this morning and express my appreciation. While there is definately some wild speculation, crazy ideas, heated discussions that occur on this message board, I have found Cavechat to be the best source of current information regarding current WNS distribution, research, etc. I am the WNS "expert" at my company, and have been working on a decon protocol for use by my field teams. The protocol that I have developed includes a complete list of WNS affected counties. Through Cavechat I have been able to update my occurence list nearly in real time.....often several days before notification from the USFWS. This is extemely important as I have gear for use in WNS positive counties and gear for WNS negative counties. It hasnt happened yet, but I am waiting for the day when a county goes from negative to positive while I am in the field.

FYI, I too am concerned over the cave closures. While I have only been in a handful of caves, I spent 4 winters of my life studying hibernating Indiana bats in abandoned mines while working on my masters degree, and will go underground any (and every) chance I get. I am absolutely terrified that I wont be able to take my two daughters caving when they get bigger.

Anyway thanks for all the great info...............PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, keep it up. You all are a valuable resource that I will exploit for the duration of my career.
bsteffen
Infrequent Poster

Re: Thanks Cavechat

Postby ArCaver » May 11, 2010 10:59 am

And thank you very much for posting. Feedback like this is very welcome. :kewl:
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 11, 2010 11:10 am

Welcome to the forum :waving: and thanks for sharing your comments.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby BrianC » May 11, 2010 3:30 pm

bsteffen wrote: I am absolutely terrified that I wont be able to take my two daughters caving when they get bigger.

Anyway thanks for all the great info...............PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, keep it up. You all are a valuable resource that I will exploit for the duration of my career.

Thank You for the good feedback. I would ask that you continue to keep in mind the bats, your two daughters, and my grandson when someone asks you if humans are spreading WNS. Most cavers continue to acknowledge that bats spread WNS, humans can spread the spores but that hasn't shown to develop into the actual fungus. If we cave it won't make any difference as to additional spreading beyond what the bats themselves spread.

Brian
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » May 11, 2010 5:42 pm

bsteffen wrote:I am absolutely terrified that I wont be able to take my two daughters caving when they get bigger.

Why do you think you won't be able to take your girls cavin?
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby wyandottecaver » May 11, 2010 6:22 pm

bsteffen,

I noticed your hometown... you know Virgil Brack?
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bsteffen » May 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Cavemud wrote:
bsteffen wrote:I am absolutely terrified that I wont be able to take my two daughters caving when they get bigger.

Why do you think you won't be able to take your girls cavin?

So I am being a bit over-dramatic....but here are the facts (FOR MYSELF)
1. I am observing all decon procedures because that is a condition of my federal permit
2. I am observing all cave closures as I feel that this is the right thing to do as an ethical, conscientious, practicing biologist.

We are now 4 years into WNS. Why have learned some important facts, but really there are only more questions. As things get worse, which I believe they will, the only options available may be things that seem absolutely insane. We have no idea where this is all going. :shrug:
bsteffen
Infrequent Poster

Postby MUD » May 11, 2010 11:12 pm

To each his own.

I can tell ya that crap isn't EVER going to stop me from cavin with my children. :waving:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby cavergirl » May 12, 2010 12:40 pm

bsteffen wrote:
2. I am observing all cave closures as I feel that this is the right thing to do as an ethical, conscientious, practicing biologist.

Thanks, Steve.

That's my feeling too. and I'm observing the moratorium.

What we know is miniscule. what we don't know is huge. I would rather play safe now than be sorry later.
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Chrys
NSS #: 45071
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nashville grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » May 12, 2010 3:59 pm

In the USFWS bat utopia our forests would consist of mainly old growth shagbark hickory and snags....As a former land manager trained as wildlife biologist and specializing in bats, I can't in any way find it ethical to promote that landscape vision.

I feel similiarly about WNS. Cavers and cave organizations have done a tremendous amount for cave and bat protection, and the actions of the USFWS and the States they are pressuring will ultimately do far more harm than good. They are both ignoring the obvious primary vector and inhibiting the one reliable method for early WNS detection...cavers going in caves. They are also risking crippling those same organizations by effectively outlawing caving on public lands....all to stop a threat that even if it does exist, will be meaningless in the face of the rapid transmission by bats themselves....which the USFWS SHOULD be trying to slow or stop.

unfortunately even the USFWS has succumbed to the public mentality of trying to manage species by considering the welfare of individual animals....they should knoww better.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)