CBD calls on Western states to act

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

CBD calls on Western states to act

Postby PYoungbaer » May 7, 2010 7:24 am

The Center for Biological Diversity wrote to wildlife directors of all Western states of the lower 48, calling for them to close all bat caves on state lands and develop WNS plans.

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2010/bats-05-06-2010.html
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Re: CBD calls on Western states to act

Postby Phil Winkler » May 7, 2010 8:13 am

That is a chilling document, but it is carefully worded and would be difficult to refute.

Those guys are slick.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby BrianC » May 7, 2010 8:47 am

What a great group, where do I send my money, Do my tax dollars help this group? :yikes:
Last edited by BrianC on May 7, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Batgirl » May 7, 2010 8:54 am

human-caused disease transmission

:doh: What the..................
Batgirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Lynn Buffkin
NSS #: 60464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby NZcaver » May 7, 2010 2:02 pm

I just realized our CBD "friends" have their HQ in Tucson AZ (where I'm now living). But interestingly, all references to CBD in Tucson show a PO box but no street address. Weird. :shrug:

It would have been nice to drop by and have a chat, assuming the staff actually have a clue about what they're doing. :doh:

P.S. now that I've clicked my way around their website, does that make me one of the "more than 255,000 members and online activists" they brag about? :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby BrianC » May 7, 2010 3:04 pm

NZcaver wrote:I just realized our CBD "friends" have their HQ in Tucson AZ (where I'm now living). But interestingly, all references to CBD in Tucson show a PO box but no street address. Weird. :shrug:

It would have been nice to drop by and have a chat, assuming the staff actually have a clue about what they're doing. :doh:

P.S. now that I've clicked my way around their website, does that make me one of the "more than 255,000 members and online activists" they brag about? :laughing:

Click you're it. if you really want to talk to them just wait outside their po box until they retrieve their mail.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby boogercaver71 » May 7, 2010 3:09 pm

Those guys are slick.

That is why they employ mostly lawyers and lobbyists
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby tncaver » May 7, 2010 3:25 pm

With a reputation like their's, the CBD probably doesn't want anyone to know their "real" address.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ArCaver » May 7, 2010 8:32 pm

I wonder about the legality of waiting at a PO box, snapping a pic of the person retrieving the mail and posting it. Do you really have a reasonable right to privacy in a public place?
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 7, 2010 11:25 pm

Just to be clear, I have no intention of stalking anybody. I was just wondering if they have an office to visit and people to talk with - like the NSS does. And it seems they don't, at least not here in Tucson where their supposed headquarters is located. To me this calls their credibility into question. Well, that and the unsubstantiated nonsense in some of their petitions. :roll:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby ArCaver » May 8, 2010 7:10 am

NZcaver wrote:Just to be clear, I have no intention of stalking anybody. I was just wondering if they have an office to visit and people to talk with - like the NSS does. And it seems they don't, at least not here in Tucson where their supposed headquarters is located. To me this calls their credibility into question. Well, that and the unsubstantiated nonsense in some of their petitions. :roll:

I wouldn't think you or anyone else on this board would do such a thing. I really just wondered what the legal ramifications might be. There are a lot of photographers having trouble these days just for taking pictures in public places.
I'm sure there are many reasons to call CBD's credibility into question. Accusing a relatively small group of people engaging in a sport (caving) of causing an ecological disaster with absolutely no substantive evidence is probably the tip of the iceberg.
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » May 8, 2010 8:27 am

Given the nature of their work and the fact that it generates animosity by its very character, I would think NOT having a public office is quite reasonable. All you need is a place to get snail mail. Everything else can be done by email and online. In this era, how good your website is makes more of an impression on new members than oak paneling on a wall somewhere. Too bad *some* organizations think big spiffy offices that cost millions of dollars in construction and upkeep equals success at impacting on the ground results and attracting new members. I guess they are handy for dinner parties and impressing your friends.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby batrotter » May 8, 2010 10:15 am

If you all want to get a good idea off what the CBD does, go to their website and look at their press releases. They are truly a bunch of environmental whackos. They issue multiple press releases every day.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby MUD » May 8, 2010 10:44 am

wyandottecaver wrote:Too bad *some* organizations think big spiffy offices that cost millions of dollars in construction and upkeep equals success at impacting on the ground results and attracting new members. I guess they are handy for dinner parties and impressing your friends.

:rofl: Good one Todd! :clap:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby LukeM » May 8, 2010 10:59 am

Arcaver, if you're interested in seeing pictures of the people who work for the CBD you can do so here: http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/about/staff/index.html

I suspect that wyandotte is on the right track when it comes to there being no official headquarters and not wanting to attract attention to a single physical location. Also, with an organization like this with so many people from all over the country being involved, there's no good reason to justify the overhead of having a central location. They do list several 'field offices' in addition to the main office. Some are PO Boxes, some street addresses. At least a couple of these are residential.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Next

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)