CBD calls on Western states to act

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: CBD calls on Western states to act

Postby MUD » May 13, 2010 10:04 am

Phil Winkler wrote:
Cavemud wrote:Yea, a volunteer organization that's dropping members every month because of this mess! Soon to be less than 10,000 members.

That is simply not true. As of 10 minutes ago our membership total was 11,743 which is far, far away from 10,000.

Sorry then! :doh: I got my info from the membership report sent by Stephanie that lists the total membership as of April 2010 to be 10,887 members. I haven't received May's edition yet. So I guess 856 cavers have joined/renewed since then? :shrug:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Ernie Coffman » May 13, 2010 10:22 am

This article isn't totally with the CBD, but is along the same lines, sorry to say. http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/35296/
The message comes through loud and clear, so they've figured "bat to bat" spread, but where is the proof that caver to bat has been proven. :shrug: Or have I missed something, since there are so many articles out there? :yikes:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » May 13, 2010 10:46 am

Ernie Coffman wrote:This article isn't totally with the CBD, but is along the same lines, sorry to say. http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/35296/
The message comes through loud and clear, so they've figured "bat to bat" spread, but where is the proof that caver to bat has been proven. :shrug: Or have I missed something, since there are so many articles out there? :yikes:

Quote from the article in the link above: “Human transmission could be particularly significant for the rate of spread of the disease, because of our vastly greater mobility compared to migratory bats,” said the Center in its letter asking for action.

This statement says that human transmission "COULD BE PARTICULARLY SIGNIFICANT". The fact is that is THE SPREAD OF THE DISEASE HAS NOT BEEN AT AN ACCELERATED RATE. Rather the spread has been quite steady at a pace which corresponds to bat flights. Once again the article is using scare tactics when the evidence to support their statements does not exist.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » May 13, 2010 10:49 am

Read you loud and clear, TNcaver! Just wanted to share what was going through the press room. :yikes:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » May 13, 2010 10:52 am

Ernie Coffman wrote:Read you loud and clear, TNcaver! Just wanted to share what was going through the press room. :yikes:

Earnie, thank you for posting the link. Everyone needs to be aware of the constant attacks that are being made with fabricated information.
I found your link particularly alarming because it made an attempt to twist the facts to support their cause when in fact it does the opposite.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » May 13, 2010 10:54 am

Cavemud wrote:
Phil Winkler wrote:
Cavemud wrote:Yea, a volunteer organization that's dropping members every month because of this mess! Soon to be less than 10,000 members.

That is simply not true. As of 10 minutes ago our membership total was 11,743 which is far, far away from 10,000.

Sorry then! :doh: I got my info from the membership report sent by Stephanie that lists the total membership as of April 2010 to be 10,887 members. I haven't received May's edition yet. So I guess 856 cavers have joined/renewed since then? :shrug:

A call to the NSS office just a few moments ago has the staff stating that as of April 30th, 2010 the total membership is 10,887. I find it hard to believe 856 people joined/renewed within the last 2 weeks....am I missing something here Phil?
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Caverdale » May 13, 2010 11:07 am

Cavemud wrote:A call to the NSS office just a few moments ago has the staff stating that as of April 30th, 2010 the total membership is 10,887. I find it hard to believe 856 people joined/renewed within the last 2 weeks....am I missing something here Phil?

From the March mailing:
Membership Totals for 03/31/10
=========================================
Associate 137
Conservation Life 7
Conservation 7
Family Associate 397
Family Life 138
Family Regular 1,436
Family Sustaining 19
Institutional 43
Spouse of deceased Life Member 8
Regular 5,784
Basic 1,115
Regular Life 1,759
Sustaining 129
=========================================

The membership loss from March to April was "only" 92.

Dale
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dale Green
NSS #: 3669FE, LB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Salt Lake Grotto

Postby Phil Winkler » May 13, 2010 12:27 pm

My posting of the 11738 number was a quick & dirty look at the Membership last record#. That figure includes around 597 dropped/deleted members, so our real total of active members right now is 11,141.

Keep in mind that we have a process that is roughly done monthly of sending out renewal notices. Yet, we receive new memberships and renewals on a daily basis. So, our membership numbers are in a state of flux constantly making accurate stats difficult when just doing a snapshot. Many, many people get dropped and then reinstated every month.

More important is analyzing the numbers to look for trends. There are people doing this now and have been for quite a few years.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Previous

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)