New research on fungus/wing damage

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New research on fungus/wing damage

Postby BrianC » Dec 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Batgirl wrote: But I am wondering whether spores can adapt/change/morph? Perhaps like a bacterial flu strain?

I know you asked this of Peter, but I want to say that spores are a very dormant kind of offspring of the host. So the host fungus would have to change/adapt before the spore would be different. Bacteria, on the other hand, is a very much alive adaptable organism, that could adapt/change in order to cope with its environment.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Dec 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Some spores only require close temp, humidity, and CO2 to open and thrive. Some spores require an exact host (somehow infected bat) to reproduce.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Dec 17, 2010 12:41 pm

Batgirl wrote: I would be interested to know what physiological similarities exist between the bats that are infected in Europe and here? I am sure there is some science being conducted on this. Peter, what do you know? What we need to know is why the bats in Europe are surviving, but not here.

All the bats in Europe found with Geomyces destructans are Myotis species, consistent with those hardest hit species in North America. None of the species are the same, however, so there may very well be genetic resistance. Why, for example, in the U.S. is the Little Brown so hard hit (high 90% mortalities in some sites), while the Indiana mortalities rates are around 50%?

Why European bats are surviving, but not here, of course, is the big question folks are trying to answer. Because the fungus is being found widespread in Europe suggests it's been there a while. Speculation about smaller colony size being a factor in resisting WNS is in the discussion, begging the question of what the Multiplicity of Infection (MOI) is. That is, how much pathogen related to the availability of host. That answer is unknown. A second hypothesis is that what we're seeing now is a new equilibrium in Europe after WNS wiped out earlier, larger colonies. However, to my knowledge, there is no fossil or other evidence to support that to date.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby BrianC » Dec 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Batgirl, ,I, as you state, think the fungus has been around for some time and is jut being opportunistic. I truly think that the good bacteria on the bats skin has(morphed/adapted/changed)and has allowed WNS to grow. The bacteria on the mammals skin holds the key.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Batgirl » Jan 4, 2011 1:57 am

That's an interesting hypothesis but I'm not sure how or if the bacteria on the animals skin has provided the fungus with the opportunity or if environmental changes have provided the opportunity. I tend to lean toward environmental factors, but I guess its possible. What I do find interesting is the similarities between Chytrid and G.d. I would like to see some comparative science including a genome sequence between the two. I now wonder whether Chytrid (aka Sally's) are the source of spread.
Batgirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Lynn Buffkin
NSS #: 60464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby PYoungbaer » Feb 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Here's an interesting study on hibernating bears:
http://www.livescience.com/12905-hibernating-bear-body-temperature.html
Does the bears' ability to maintain a high body temperature ward off fungal or other infections while hibernating? Could we train bats to do this? Then, their body temperatures could stay high enough to ward off the fungus.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 18, 2011 4:44 pm

PYoungbaer wrote:Here's an interesting study on hibernating bears:
http://www.livescience.com/12905-hibernating-bear-body-temperature.html
Does the bears' ability to maintain a high body temperature ward off fungal or other infections while hibernating? Could we train bats to do this? Then, their body temperatures could stay high enough to ward off the fungus.

Hmmm.....bat obedience school. Is that the answer? I'm sure there are naturalists chomping at the bit for those federal dollars for that project.
Sorry, Peter, couldn't resist poking fun at this one. BTW, I appreciate you keeping us informed and respect you and what you do.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Feb 18, 2011 5:54 pm

tncaver - It was posted in jest. However, there are things that can be learned from studying other hibernating animals.

For example, at last fall's NASBR conference, bat researcher Craig Willis gave a presentation Entitled "Rodents at a Bat Meeting? Can natural selection help bat populations rebound from WNS?"

Willis cites a 17-year data set of Colombian ground squirrels. In it, he notes breeding dates are moving earlier due to climate change, showed evidence that emergence dates from hibernation are heritable (inherited), etc. Questions that could be examined in bats include immune responses, energy balance genes, torpor and arousal patterns, microclimate selection, and hibernation factors, particularly emergence.

Whether or not this sort of research could happen quick enough to allow persistence and recovery was questioned by another researcher, who stated, "We don't have time for evolution - only for response."

Still, it's inquiries like these - and the willingness to look outside the box - that might offer some clues to bat resistance and survival. Training bats to act like bears? Not very likely.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 18, 2011 6:52 pm

PYoungbaer wrote:tncaver - It was posted in jest. However, there are things that can be learned from studying other hibernating animals.

Understood. And like I said, I appreciate you keeping us informed and respect you and what you do to keep us cavers informed. :kewl:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)