Michigan DNR WNS page

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Michigan DNR WNS page

Postby John Lovaas » Apr 7, 2011 5:35 pm

I was looking for Midwest natural resource agency web pages on WNS, and found this Michigan DNR page that appears to have been posted in late March:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

and this sentence caught my eye-

"...Evidence of WNS has been documented in caves absent of bats..."

Is this statement true? I'm not aware of a study that has found Gd where bats were not currently present, or present pre-WNS. Is this a deceptive way of saying "spores persist for some period of time after all the bats have died or abandoned the roost"?
Last edited by John Lovaas on Apr 7, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Michigan DNR WNS page

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 7, 2011 5:43 pm

Erm...I have no clue...and it's not like we have a ton of caves here in MI...and the cave up north, which on October's count has 74 bats, is to our knowledge wns free (although the MKC decided to close the cave until next month and didn't even do their normal Feb/March trip up there as to "not disturb the bats" so I'm not sure anyone actually checked them, which confused me...shouldn't we check? I dunno, heh, all I know is Tim told me there wasn't going to be a winter trip this year *shrugs*)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby John Lovaas » Apr 7, 2011 5:49 pm

Sungura wrote:Erm...I have no clue...and it's not like we have a ton of caves here in MI...

but lots of mines(and bats) in the U.P.... ;-)
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 7, 2011 6:10 pm

Oh yeah, keep forgetting mines exist (so I'm told, not like i've ever seen them!). My bad!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Apr 7, 2011 6:27 pm

"...There is also evidence that the fungus is inadvertently spread by humans. Cavers (spelunkers) may transfer the causative agent on their clothing, shoes and gear between caves. Evidence of WNS has been documented in caves absent of bats, and many states have restricted access to caves to prevent further spread by humans...."

Lies, lies and more lies. I'm hoping this was just a DNR Public Relations staffer too uninterested to do their homework. To my knowledge, there exists no case anywhere where GD or WNS has been demonstrated to occur without connection to bats. They *might* be creatively referring to the botched mine experiment where GD (probably) persisted after killing the original colony.

The disturbing thing is that reading the whole paragraph, this statement seems purposefully constructed to support their "caver vector" statement preceeding it. Maybe some of the MI folks used to work in WI.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Apr 8, 2011 9:46 am

wyandottecaver wrote:"...There is also evidence that the fungus is inadvertently spread by humans. Cavers (spelunkers) may transfer the causative agent on their clothing, shoes and gear between caves. Evidence of WNS has been documented in caves absent of bats, and many states have restricted access to caves to prevent further spread by humans...."

Lies, lies and more lies. I'm hoping this was just a DNR Public Relations staffer too uninterested to do their homework. To my knowledge, there exists no case anywhere where GD or WNS has been demonstrated to occur without connection to bats. They *might* be creatively referring to the botched mine experiment where GD (probably) persisted after killing the original colony.

The disturbing thing is that reading the whole paragraph, this statement seems purposefully constructed to support their "caver vector" statement preceeding it. Maybe some of the MI folks used to work in WI.

Hey, We did try to correct this type of statement, but many cavers seem uninterested in doing so.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavergirl » Apr 8, 2011 11:40 am

The Statement "Evidence of WNS has been documented in caves absent of bats" is absolutely ludicrous. :doh: WNS is by definition a disease on bats. While G.d. may or may not exist in cave environments, WNS itself has to exist only on bats. And so far all the science I have seen suggests that G.d has only been found (1)on bats, (2) in bat guano and (3)in sediments in WNS affected caves.
Peter, can you set these people straight?
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Chrys
NSS #: 45071
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nashville grotto

Postby BrianC » Apr 8, 2011 11:44 am

cavergirl wrote:Peter, can you set these people straight?

I'll second that consideration Chrys. He will again confirm that we are beating a "dead horse"
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)