How many cavers?

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

How many cavers?

Postby BrianC » Mar 30, 2011 11:14 am

After some thoughts expressed that cavers should respond to some of the closure orders due to White Nose Syndrome, I wonder how many cavers are actually out there?. I know that many attendees at grotto meetings are not NSS or of any cave affiliation members. I know that many SCCI and ACA members are not NSS members.There are many members and readers of Cave Chat that do not pay membership to the NSS. Is there any way to find out some sort of number of cavers in the USA.?
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: How many cavers?

Postby ON_ROPE » Mar 30, 2011 11:47 am

Registration data going back to 1980 show a rather standard percentage of cavers entering Pettyjohns cave in Georgia are NSS members. Current data show ten thousand cavers a year and slightly less than 20 percent are NSS. Do the math.
ON_ROPE
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 10371
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby BrianC » Mar 30, 2011 11:53 am

ON_ROPE wrote:Registration data going back to 1980 show a rather standard percentage of cavers entering Pettyjohns cave in Georgia are NSS members. Current data show ten thousand cavers a year and slightly less than 20 percent are NSS. Do the math.

Exactly the Numbers I am looking for. Thanks very much. 8000 non NSS/2000 NSS.
Any others?
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Mar 30, 2011 12:19 pm

Wow! :yikes: 10,000 people a year visit Pettijohns?! And that's just the number of people that actually register. I'm sure the actual number is even higher.
I imagine some of those are repeat visitors; meaning, they go to PJ more than once a year. It's kind of hard to extrapolate from that number to figure how many cavers in the country, though. I guess you could assume that the 20/80 ratio holds true for the rest of the country, and since there are ~10,000 NSS members, one could assume that there are around 40,000 non-NSS cavers, for a total of 50,000.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby BrianC » Mar 30, 2011 12:54 pm

trogman wrote:Wow! :yikes: 10,000 people a year visit Pettijohns?! And that's just the number of people that actually register. I'm sure the actual number is even higher.
I imagine some of those are repeat visitors; meaning, they go to PJ more than once a year. It's kind of hard to extrapolate from that number to figure how many cavers in the country, though. I guess you could assume that the 20/80 ratio holds true for the rest of the country, and since there are ~10,000 NSS members, one could assume that there are around 40,000 non-NSS cavers, for a total of 50,000.

Trogman :helmet:

That reasoning is good, except that this is for the middle of TAG, I would surmise that local cavers everywhere would make up a much larger number than 40K of non NSS members.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)