Tennessee Cave Survey Accuracy

This forum is for NSS Archives only. Images posted to this forum are from the archives. The NSS would like Cavechat user input on the history of certain items in the archives and will request that info in this forum.

Moderators: Guanohunter, Moderators

Tennessee Cave Survey Accuracy

Postby tncaver » Jun 8, 2010 8:42 pm

The Tennessee Cave Survey "original" report form for Rumbling Falls Cave, as published on the 2009 TCS compact disk is corrupt due to added information.
The narrative presented is not the true original report form I submitted. It contains content presented by Marion O. Smith years after I discovered the cave
and after the original report form was submitted by me. I request that the National Speleological Society submit a request to Gerald Moni (chairman of the TCS) to correct the report form for Rumbling Falls Cave to it's true original content on the folder titled "Original" on the published CD. Altering the true history of the cave's discovery and report is contradictory to the facts and creates a false interpretation that Marion O. Smith had anything to do with the discovery of that cave. ORIGINAL should mean original. The current representation is corrupt and is NOT the original report form I turned in long before Marion visited the cave. The TCS is an internal organization of the TCS. Therefore I hearby request that the NSS require the TCS to correct the falsified information on the TCS 2009 CD folder entitled "ORIGINAL" because the TCS is publishing falsified information as being original.
John Hutchison
NSS11906
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Tennessee Cave Survey Accuracy

Postby joestewart » Jun 9, 2010 7:20 am

Hi John,

Not speaking at all about the text of the narrative entry and only about the "original" directory -

My understanding the "original" directory pertains only to the file formats. The cd makers put the Wordperfect format files they received there. This differentiated them from a derivative format like the .html files that were generated from them. I think this is what the README file in there was trying to say too.

Joe
joestewart
Occasional Poster

Name: Joe Stewart
NSS #: 58143
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby tncaver » Jun 9, 2010 7:34 am

joestewart wrote:Hi John,

Not speaking at all about the text of the narrative entry and only about the "original" directory -

My understanding the "original" directory pertains only to the file formats. The cd makers put the Wordperfect format files they received there. This differentiated them from a derivative format like the .html files that were generated from them. I think this is what the README file in there was trying to say too.

Joe

Thank you Joe. I took "original" as referring to the original historical report forms which I presume are now lost forever. That is truly a shame. Current
narrative files are changed regularly and have little if any historical significance.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ray Keeler » Jun 9, 2010 9:25 am

Hello All,

Re. "I request that the National Speleological Society submit a request to Gerald Moni (chairman of the TCS) to correct the report form for Rumbling Falls Cave to it's true original content ..."

It has been the policy of NSS to try and stay out of local and regional issues. An exception to this is policy would be when the issue is about an NSS preserve, and Rumbling Falls is not an NSS preserve.

I might suggest that if the CD mentioned is a TCS authorized project that the issue be worked through the TCS organization. A motion at a TCS meeting to cease distribution until the issue is resolved would be one method.

Additionally, one might post the original version and the second version side by side and then publicize the discrepencies.

Ray Keeler
NSS AVP
Ray Keeler
Occasional Poster

Postby tncaver » Jun 9, 2010 12:09 pm

Ray Keeler wrote:Hello All,

Re. "I request that the National Speleological Society submit a request to Gerald Moni (chairman of the TCS) to correct the report form for Rumbling Falls Cave to it's true original content ..."

It has been the policy of NSS to try and stay out of local and regional issues. An exception to this is policy would be when the issue is about an NSS preserve, and Rumbling Falls is not an NSS preserve.

I might suggest that if the CD mentioned is a TCS authorized project that the issue be worked through the TCS organization. A motion at a TCS meeting to cease distribution until the issue is resolved would be one method.

Additionally, one might post the original version and the second version side by side and then publicize the discrepencies.

Ray Keeler
NSS AVP

Thanks for your input Ray. Unfortunately I have never had any cooperation with the TCS on any issue I've ever brought up. Contact with the TCS chairman
today indicates that the original report forms (meaning the ones that were originally turned in by those who first found and/or explored the caves)
are no longer in existence except in the few cases where a cave has never had an update. Therefore this is now a non issue.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to NSS Archives