PMI E-Z Bend Sport Static vs. PMI Max-Wear Sport Static

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

PMI E-Z Bend Sport Static vs. PMI Max-Wear Sport Static

Postby jmo » Feb 6, 2006 1:07 pm

I'm looking into a new rope and I found these two. Any advice to which is the better choice would be AWESOME!

Thanks! :kewl:
Life is just one good thing after another
NSS 56887
jmo
Frequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 6, 2006 1:22 pm

EZ bend is less stiff, softer, easier to tie knots with, travels thru descenders easier and abraids faster.

Max is stiff, not as easy to knot, may not work well with some descenders and wears like iron. As someone said in another thread "PMI Max cuts rock."

BTW, PMI Pit rope is the same as Max, but without the color strip. It's solid white. Meaning it's cheaper to make and cheaper for cavers to buy.

Ultimately, it's personal preference and rigging styles. If you tend to chuck the rope down a drop and let 'er ride, go with Max/Pit. If you are good about padding and rigging to avoid abrasion, EZ is a good option.

Most cavers I know us Pit rope.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby jmo » Feb 6, 2006 1:32 pm

Scott, thanks for the response. Do you think the Max-Wear would work well with the Petzl stop or is it to stiff for smooth sailing?
NSS 56887
jmo
Frequent Poster

Postby hank moon » Feb 6, 2006 2:36 pm

jmo wrote:Scott, thanks for the response. Do you think the Max-Wear would work well with the Petzl stop or is it to stiff for smooth sailing?

I would avoid using bobbins with Max-Wear. The friction elements on a bobbin (particularly the Petzl STOP and SIMPLE) are designed to provide maximum friction when the rope deforms to fit into the grooves in the fixed sheaves. Max-Wear is so stiff that it does not deform much and makes only minimal contact with the edges of the grooves. This is not to say the Max/Bobbin combo will not work, but it is less than ideal. The above comments apply mainly to 11 mm rope. As the rope diameter decreases, the deformation factor becomes less important. An extra friction carabiner is advisable when using bobbins. I have heard that the SRT stop devices work well with Max-Wear, but have not verified this.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 6, 2006 4:00 pm

jmo wrote:Scott, thanks for the response. Do you think the Max-Wear would work well with the Petzl stop or is it to stiff for smooth sailing?

What Hank said.

Perhaps the best indicator is what the other people you are caving with are using. Ask the people that have been around the block in your area and see what they use and why.

There will be no rope that is best for every situation. You will have to learn how to adapt to what's available at the time. Start collecting gear now. Take care of it and eventually you'll be able to handle just about anything that comes up (or goes down). :grin:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby jmo » Feb 7, 2006 12:05 am

Thanks guys! I appreciate it.
NSS 56887
jmo
Frequent Poster