Maillon Rapide....translates to....

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Maillon Rapide....translates to....

Postby Rick Brinkman » Feb 13, 2010 4:26 am

Quick link

I'm just sayin'........

so.....is a French manufactured quick link better than a......Taiwan quick link????

:popcorn:
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Re: Maillon Rapide....translates to....

Postby NZcaver » Feb 13, 2010 5:26 am

Rick Brinkman wrote:so.....is a French manufactured quick link better than a......Taiwan quick link????

It's true that Maillon Rapide translates to quick link. Which is ironic, considering how much quicker it is to connect and disconnect using a karabinerhaken (aka carabiner).

As for French vs Taiwanese manufacture... it all depends what you mean by "better." Taiwanese quick links are cheap, readily available from Wal Mart and hardware stores, and good for a variety of uses. True "Maillon Rapides" are made by Péguet in France, and by all accounts are very reliable. Probably a good thing if you intend to entrust your life to one. Apparently it's all about manufacturing consistency, quality control and comprehensive testing. Something that other manufacturers may skimp on if their products are not officially intended for PPE/life safety applications.

How's the popcorn? :popcorn: :bananawhip:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Bob Thrun » Feb 13, 2010 7:37 am

All the French-made maillon rapides have screw threads on both sides of the gate. The one Taiwanese quick link I saw had screw threads on only one side. I have often wondered how the French get their quality control so good that the threads on both sides of the gate match up.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Feb 13, 2010 1:49 pm

I try to look for the UIAA certification on anything I trust my life on.I do know that there are some trustworthy items that do not have this though.I do not remember if the Maillon Rapide has this.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby NZcaver » Feb 13, 2010 5:01 pm

Bob Thrun wrote:All the French-made maillon rapides have screw threads on both sides of the gate. The one Taiwanese quick link I saw had screw threads on only one side. I have often wondered how the French get their quality control so good that the threads on both sides of the gate match up.

Not all of them. The Petzl Presto is only threaded on one side, and the screw gate butts against a flange on the other side when closed. I think the Petzl Speedy is the same design.

It is impressive that the threads line up so well on the regular MRs. But if you forget to screw the gate closed and apply weight, they don't line up so well any more. :tonguecheek:

Cody JW wrote:I try to look for the UIAA certification on anything I trust my life on.I do know that there are some trustworthy items that do not have this though.I do not remember if the Maillon Rapide has this.

Péguet Maillon Rapides are CE, EN 12275 (mountain), and EN 362 (industry) rated. Perhaps UIAA standards don't apply to Maillon Rapides? :shrug: UIAA doesn't cover every piece of kit we use. Anybody use a UIAA-certified rack?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Cody JW » Feb 13, 2010 8:53 pm

Good piont about the rack NZ,I will also say you are right about how a Maillon Rapide can bend if you do not screw it down all the way.It happened to me several years ago when I used one to connect my knee cam stiff step assembly( from on rope one) on my ropewalker to the knee cam and it bent with only the force of one step at a time.I had it screwed but not all the way.I just looked at it and thought it was secure but it was not, since that is not a life or death connection point I was not as careful,since then I have caught myself comming close to doing it again on the stiff step connections.In my case I was able to complete the climb but had to get rid of the rapide and buy another.Several caving vendors sell life support items that are not UIAA and are safe, but for me it is nice to see it.I think most petzl items are.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Return to On Rope!