quick newb question

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

quick newb question

Postby activeshooter » Feb 3, 2010 11:19 am

what are the cons to using a tubular decender (like atc)in caving? seems like a kiss solution for small to med drops.
activeshooter
Frequent Poster

Name: greg herin

Re: quick newb question

Postby chh » Feb 3, 2010 11:42 am

A sandy or muddy cave will eat right through that little atc. In fact wear is far more evident on anything aluminum, but the atc is just so thin. I wrecked one on a single pitch once. It'll turn the side where the rope runs to your brake hand into a relatively sharp edge in short order given the wrong conditions.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Feb 3, 2010 6:42 pm

ATCs are also meant to work on dynamic rope, not 11mm static rope with a super-stiff sheath like PMI Pit Rope.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 3, 2010 7:24 pm

May as well just use a figure 8. I have wondered how well one of my ATC's would work with my new talon, but............i dont feel like trying it since i have a rack ;) IMO, once you learn how to use a rack, its the ultimate KISS.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby creektrails » Feb 3, 2010 9:31 pm

Not trying to hijack but adding to the comments. I use a figure 8 on a 130' pit . should I go to a rack, do figure 8's have similar problems as the atc's?
creektrails
Occasional Poster

Postby slapout » Feb 3, 2010 10:03 pm

a figure 8 dose twist the rope sum were as a rack just slides through but my concern is more of heat friction tho i never have had any problems nor have i ever heard of any problems. but ever felt your figure 8 after a long rappel "hot" my rack never gets hot or even warm even after a long rappel down El Capitan at yosemite i am not a caveing pro but seems like common sense
slapout
Frequent Poster

Name: stephen driver

Postby Stridergdm » Feb 3, 2010 10:19 pm

creektrails wrote:Not trying to hijack but adding to the comments. I use a figure 8 on a 130' pit . should I go to a rack, do figure 8's have similar problems as the atc's?

Besides the heat, I'd say keep your eye on the wear. If your rope is clean, you may see little wear. But I've seen an 8 that after one rappel of about 130' that was no longer usable.

I wouldn't say, "never use an 8" since I know a number of people who have done so, just be aware of the limitations.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 4, 2010 12:46 am

steel 8's, not aluminum.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Feb 4, 2010 10:33 am

slapout wrote:my rack never gets hot or even warm even after a long rappel down El Capitan at yosemite

Im kind of curious how you pulled this off. Rappelling on el cap and your rack doesnt get hot? At Golondrinas we had some burn themselves on their leg (they were in shorts) with their rack. I don't think I have ever done a drop and not had my rack heat up in some form or fashion.

As far as the 8's go, you'll wear through an aluminum one in no time. When we were canyoning in Zion with Piranhas we saw significant wear on the devices due to sand and grit that were in the rope, and we were using 9mm. I couldnt imagine what 11mm muddy pit rope would do. Steel 8's work, but then people yell at you for twisting their rope.

The rack is the Cadillac of descending devices.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Return to On Rope!