caught foot ascender strap in croll

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: caught foot ascender strap in croll

Postby creektrails » Mar 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Marduke wrote:While at an SRT class this weekend, one of the students had this happen to them when ascending out of a pit. As soon as the people topside were notified, everyone went into action. As luck would have it, the Huntsville Cave Rescue Unit (HCRU) were the sponsors of the class, and were already on scene (as the instructors). As soon as word of the problem was heard, instructors topside simulated the equipment malfunction and readied a couple rescuers should they be required. They also assembled a both a haul AND lowering system in less than 5 minutes, and were ready to go. The instructor in the bottom of the pit ascended up a second rope to the stuck climber and got her squared away and she was able to continue ascending out of the pit, with a great story to tell.

At no time was the student in any real danger, but it was quite something to watch the preliminary phase of a rescue unfold in just a matter of minutes. As a new student of SRT myself, I was thoroughly impressed with how quickly and effectively the HCRU snapped into action, and it instills me with confidence that such a group of people exist should I ever require their assistance.

Did you get a look at what type of runner got caught? cord? webbing?
creektrails
Occasional Poster

Re: caught foot ascender strap in croll

Postby Marduke » Mar 14, 2010 11:55 pm

I'm about 70% sure that the loaner frog setups the students were using had cord runners and foot loops. However, I am unsure if she somehow also got her chest harness adjustment strap (webbing) tangled up in the mess.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to On Rope!