Someone cutting your rigging

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Someone cutting your rigging

Postby davantalus » Jan 20, 2010 11:53 am

Do you ever worry someone would untie or cut your rigging while you're at the bottom of a hole or (god forbid) on rope? :yikes:

I figure the untying scenario is pretty unlikely, and possibly preventable with a clever, out of reach, knot. But someone malicious with a blade freaks me out.

Personally, I live in an apartment so I practice hanging off a nearby bridge. The bridge goes, literally, nowhere; So there's not a lot of traffic, foot, or otherwise. That being said, it's a pretty populated area and I don't have any practice buddies. I realize there are a bunch of solutions, find a nice tree, hike 10 miles to a better tree, buy a house and setup a climbing gym, maybe I could bribe two friends with pizza to stand at the top with automatic weapons.

Mainly though, I'm curious how (ir)rational my fears are.
davantalus
Occasional Poster

Name: Dav Angel
NSS #: 63392
Primary Grotto Affiliation: SoCal Grotto

Re: Someone cutting your rigging

Postby ian mckenzie » Jan 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Has been known to happen in Mexico, Jamaica, etc. either through maliciousness or a desire to score some nice rope.

Here we worry about packrats chewing the rope at the anchor.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jan 20, 2010 1:06 pm

Isn't the "rat cable" a Canadian invention?
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 20, 2010 1:21 pm

There are some sections of rural Appalachia that this is a concern. Occasionally, we have stationed an armed guard by the ropes. We also, routinely, anchor the ropes (with slack) at the bottom of the pits. At least it will limit how much they can steal.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Stridergdm » Jan 20, 2010 1:33 pm

I do know of a case where members of my grotto/Outing Club (RPI) back in the 70s were evidently caving in Mexico when the Federales showed up, couldn't figure out what they were doing and arrested those on the surface and pulled up the rope. A day or two later a translator was finally able to convince them to lower another rope down and let the rest of them out of the cave.

Other than that, I've never given it much thought. Until now. Great. Now I'll be paranoid all the time.

No, seriously I've heard rumors of events like what you mentioning happening, but other than the one above, never actual details.

I'd guess in most places, most caves are far enough away, anyone coming along is probably smart enough to realize why the rope is there and respect it and leave it alone.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Amazingracer » Jan 20, 2010 1:57 pm

On my first trip to Ellisons, when we had derigged Fantastic and were arriving at the warm up drop we discovered that some one had pulled up our entire rope and thrown it back down the pit in a ginat ball that tangled up and had the rope hanging about 8 feet off the floor, by moving some raocks and reaching for it we were able to pull down the mess and get it untangled and get out.
After that incident I always tie my ropes down, but unfortunately that doesnt do anything about knives. When we were in Mexico we kept some one at the the top of the pits at all times to keep the rope from disappearing.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby creektrails » Jan 20, 2010 2:56 pm

This is my first post but I have always wondered about someone messing w/ my rope. Taking it or tossing it into the pit is one thing. I know im paranoid but someone knicking it witha knife is what I worry about.
creektrails
Occasional Poster

Postby cavedoc » Jan 20, 2010 4:24 pm

It happened to a group I was caving with in China. The locals pulled the rope while a group was in the cave. Someone did a substantial free solo up to set up another rope and all was well. We tied them all down afterward and put tin-can alarms on them.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby Grandpa Caver » Jan 20, 2010 6:19 pm

Back in the early 80's we rappeled a short drop into a popular southern Indiana cave. When we returned to exit we discovered someone had stolen our rope. We were in no danger because it wasn't our only way out but the thief(s) didn't know that!
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Jan 20, 2010 7:54 pm

They say when at Natural Well to leave someone on top because the pit sits along a state park hiking trail,we did when we were there.I also read in the Hautala book about a struggle between one caver left on top and some drunk locals who ended up cutting a rope with a machette when someone was one rope, in this case the woman on rope fell only a few feet to a ledge and was easily rescued.Scary stuff, makes you think.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Stridergdm » Jan 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Cody JW wrote:They say when at Natural Well to leave someone on top because the pit sits along a state park hiking trail,we did when we were there.I also read in the Hautala book about a struggle between one caver left on top and some drunk locals who ended up cutting a rope with a machette when someone was one rope, in this case the woman on rope fell only a few feet to a ledge and was easily rescued.Scary stuff, makes you think.

Really wants to make sure you can do a fast change-over and rappel pretty quickly. :-)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jan 21, 2010 5:26 am

Fear of someone cutting the rigging was the reason they built this behemoth gate over a cave entrance in Montana.

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Kevenater » Jan 21, 2010 6:11 am

I've thought about it many times! Scary stuff for sure!
KEVEN
Kevenater
Frequent Poster

Name: Keven Williams
NSS #: 46794

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 21, 2010 6:21 am

Yeah, Mexico has had some bad examples. Seems to me when I started caving in Iowa, that some helpful boy scouts dispatched a rope (or ropes) at Maquoketa Caves State Park. :yikes:

All in all, these seem to be quite rare instances. But it seems to be standard practice to put a second anchor just out of reach below the lip of pits in Mexico.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby David Grimes » Jan 21, 2010 9:28 am

I have often been concerned with this especially when caving on public land during hunting season. I know awhile back before the WNS closures I had done a trip to Birthday Plunge here in Indiana in the forestry during hunting season, we all joked about a hunter who was angry that we spooked his deer, taking or cutting our rope. We were all laughing about it but I guarantee the thought was in the back of everyone's mind.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Next

Return to On Rope!