another anchor study to read.....

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

another anchor study to read.....

Postby chh » Jan 20, 2010 7:21 am

Instead of tacking this on the end of the cordollete thread, here's another study to read. Not much in the overall conclusions are new, but there are actual numbers involved which is always interesting. The drop tower weight is a rescue load as well, for all you rescue fetishists... And yes, the equallete is tested :woohoo:

http://www.shariconglobal.com/misc/clim ... ystems.pdf
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Re: another anchor study to read.....

Postby Carl Amundson » Jan 20, 2010 10:20 am

Cool, this is good stuff.

Thanks for posting this. :kewl:
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Re: another anchor study to read.....

Postby PseudoFission » Feb 16, 2010 12:05 am

Heck Yeah! I finally looked this over. Good stuff - but left me with a lot of questions. Primarily - how well the equalized anchors would adjust to a change in the load angle. I'm most inclined to set up an equalized anchor when I know the evacuation route will introduce a change in the direction of load, swinging slightly as the team moves down the terrain/pit/slope. I'm not typically concerned about the anchor quality or 'shock load' when a piece fails, as that's highly unlikely for most of my rigging (anyhow the equalization 'shock load' is much less extreme with 4+ anchor points spread across shallow angles, and with a live dynamic load). It's more of a discussion of how much each individual anchor piece stays within my 'safety factor' when a change is introduced, one way or another.

Seems like test #1 had unnecessarily extreme angles compared to some of the other tests, especially the cordalette at the end.

Thanks chh! - I had not seen this before.

-Andrew
PseudoFission
Infrequent Poster

Name: Andrew Blackstock
NSS #: 58244

Return to On Rope!