On Rope 1 Goliath harness (padded versus regular)

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

On Rope 1 Goliath harness (padded versus regular)

Postby OpenTrackRacer » Nov 17, 2009 6:52 pm

After reading and partaking in several threads about harnesses, I went ahead and ordered an On Rope 1 Goliath Expedition fully padded harness. It came today and I have to say that I'm very impressed with it's structure and quality. However, I'm also a bit taken aback by how massive the padding is on the leg loops. It looks to be very comfortable for descending and ascending but I'm worries about the other 90% of the time I spend underground.

Is there anyone that has either version that can comment on how they like it?

Thanks!

Mike
Underground Explorers
California Abandoned Mine Exploration
http://www.undergroundexplorers.com
OpenTrackRacer
Prolific Poster

Name: Mike Schriber
NSS #: 65042
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern California

Re: On Rope 1 Goliath harness (padded versus regular)

Postby wyandottecaver » Nov 17, 2009 6:56 pm

I have both. You are right. The padded version is very comfortable but a beast to take crawling. IMHO the unpadded is still a bit big, but fine, since the wide loops make it very comfortable.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby speleogen » Nov 17, 2009 8:00 pm

I originally bought the fully padded version, but eventually switched to the regular. I only frog on drops of less than around 100', so I don't really need the padding and without it, the harness is very compact. Great if you are doing a multi-drop.

John
John McMacken
Summerfield NC
speleogen
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 51655
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby OpenTrackRacer » Nov 18, 2009 7:48 pm

I took the harness home last night and tried it out with my usual mine exploring pants. It's much better than in jeans (and also with my pockets emptied). It's quite a bit more, well, confining to the family jewels than the alpine style harness. I think I'd like the leg straps on the non-padded model better for exploring but I do like the waist pad and larger gear loops on the fully padded model. The wide leg straps sure look like they'll be comfortable on rope however. I just noticed they sell a hybrid harness with the padded waist belt and 3" leg belts. Still, looking at the pictures I'm not sure it'll be any less confining so I wonder if I'd really gain anything. Hmmmmmm....
Underground Explorers
OpenTrackRacer
Prolific Poster

Postby OpenTrackRacer » Nov 19, 2009 11:27 pm

Okay, so I tried on the padded harness again today and loaded it up with all my gear. Since most of the leg padding is in the back, I don't think there is going to be a big difference with regard to the, ummm... confinement issue. The Croll is in a great position for frogging. It's a huge improvement over the alpine harness. I've only noticed one issue... Since the integrated chest harness connects in the front, the rear of the waist belt wants to fall down. I tried my Petzl Torse and it helps but it's too short (which really creates a confinement problem since the rear of the waist belt is not at my waist but in the small of my back). Has anyone else encountered this issue? With the gear loops so far back, it really wants to fall down which is uncomfortable to say the least.

Thanks!

Mike
Underground Explorers
OpenTrackRacer
Prolific Poster

Return to On Rope!