Maintenance of Maillon-Rapide threads

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Maintenance of Maillon-Rapide threads

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 26, 2008 1:10 pm

Didn't see any other threads (pun intended) about threads, but this has been irking me and I'm in a grumbling mood!

I use a standard 10mm Maillon-Rapide steel half-round quicklink with my PMI Pit Viper. It has only been used on rope in a cave 13 or 14 times, plus a half-dozen tree sessions. Recently, even though I clean the threads carefully with a toothbrush after using, it has become harder and harder to close. So much so, in fact, that I find myself needing to use the top of my Petzl Stop as a wrench to properly open and close the quicklink. This is doubly frustrating now that I have moved away from using my Stop as my primary descender in favor of a 14" rack; I sure don't want to have to carry my Stop with me everywhere just to get my harness on and off!

Is it acceptable, or recommended, to lubricate the threads of a quick-link with molybdenum grease or some kind of anti-seize agent? Large quantities would seem to encourage grit to build up (or the Maillon-Rapide to unscrew itself!), but a small amount would likely make it possible for me to open and close the screw link with my bare hands, as god and nature intended. Does anyone have experience with this or a recommendation? I can't seem to find any information online about what to do when they start acting finicky, but certainly the product isn't at the end of its functional life.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Re: Maintenance of Maillon-Rapide threads

Postby NZcaver » Nov 26, 2008 1:18 pm

I've also had problems in the past with stiff threads, mostly on my Zicral half round maillons. I'd give a brief squirt of WD-40 and wipe away the excess, after cleaning the threads with a toothbrush. I now use a similar technique with my Petzl Omni Triact half-round carabiner.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby ian mckenzie » Nov 26, 2008 1:31 pm

Rather than oil, try some chapstick or other wax-based lip balm. It'll probably stay on the threads longer and won't drip or make a mess. This is also a great lubricant for that sticky old dried-out zipper on your oversuit.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby BrianC » Nov 26, 2008 3:27 pm

I never thought about chapstick! Good idea!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Nov 26, 2008 6:36 pm

Does the thread become easier to do up or undo if you squeeze the two ends of the maillon together? if so you've probably distorted the maillon if it's STEEL you could try gently squeezing the end back together in a vice. This has worked for mine, but 13 - 14 trips sounds too few to be happening so early unless you commonly hook the maillon up to your harness and don't do it up immediately. Or I guess you may have got a slightly misaligned maillon to start with. :shrug:

I do the maillon up as soon as it's connected and before breathing out, which also means I'm less likely to forget to do it up.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Dangerjudy » Nov 26, 2008 7:01 pm

Do yourself a favor, bite the bullet and buy a Petzl Omni. It's one of the best pieces of caving gear I've ever bought. :clap:

I have the screw-lock version, some prefer the Triact.
Birmingham Grotto, NSS 49720. "I reserve the right to be ridiculous." bono
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49720
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

Postby ek » Nov 26, 2008 7:16 pm

I have the Omni Screw-Lock, and I love it. I previously used the Triact-Lock, and I greatly prefer the Omni Screw-Lock.

The Triact-Lock must be frequently lubricated to retain its auto-locking characteristics when exposed to cave mud. And with cold hands, you pretty much can't open the Triact-Lock version.

The Screw-Lock version is extremely easy to operate, doesn't jam, and since it's so easy you can just make a person rule to lock the gate every time you stop looking at it, and then you'll never forget to lock it.

With a traditional harness maillon, it would take an enormously long amount of time to change your configuration if you locked and unlocked it every time you looked away.
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby caverdoc » Nov 27, 2008 9:40 am

+1 on the Omni.
After years of struggling with maillon links, usually in subzero Minnesota cornfields or Montana alpine caves I finally found the solution to the finicky beast :bananabat:

Of interest, when I took my NCRC levl 1 in TX last year I was told the Omni does not really count as "life support equipment" for a 2-person load. This came from a well-respected purveyor/manufacturer of caving gear, somebody from whom I've bought $$$ of stuff. So I have a couple good maillons for NCRC use.

In the French caving pubs numerous reference is made to the curvature of the maillons contributing to their coming "unsprung" and difficult to close. I use the pinch together technique when this happens to mine, and when it becomes bad enough the maillon gets retired to my growing "trash pile" of old metal jangly bits. :yikes:

I love the multiple screwgate versions of the Omni that I own, no issues with either. Howie had them on sale at the 2007 NSS Convention and that's when I stocked up.

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 27, 2008 10:44 am

Agreed on the Omni, and I do intend to pick up a screwgate version. However, right now I'm primarily concerned with making sure my Maillon works properly for a 3-day TAG trip next weekend, since I won't have the time (or the $30) to Omni-tize myself before then!

:banana:
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ek » Nov 27, 2008 11:48 am

caverdoc wrote:Of interest, when I took my NCRC levl 1 in TX last year I was told the Omni does not really count as "life support equipment" for a 2-person load. This came from a well-respected purveyor/manufacturer of caving gear, somebody from whom I've bought $$$ of stuff. So I have a couple good maillons for NCRC use.

To discuss the topic of whether or not the Omni is suitable for two-person loads (which is not really about the topic of "Maintenance of Maillon-Rapide threads"), I have started this new thread.

caverdoc wrote:In the French caving pubs numerous reference is made to the curvature of the maillons contributing to their coming "unsprung" and difficult to close. I use the pinch together technique when this happens to mine, and when it becomes bad enough the maillon gets retired to my growing "trash pile" of old metal jangly bits. :yikes:

You could perhaps recycle that pile as scrap metal, and maybe even get some money for it.
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 27, 2008 2:26 pm

"Ol' Jangly-Bits" has a nice ring to it, now I need to find someone deserving of the nickname!
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to On Rope!