Hair caught in descender

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby Adam Byrd » Jan 27, 2006 9:41 pm

Speaking of things getting caught in climbing equipment, who uses a plastic block like the one On Rope sells to cover the pulley on your ropewalker?
Adam Byrd
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56537
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Team Poseidon

Postby Geary » Jan 27, 2006 10:03 pm

Back in the mid 1970's when I was a little younger (and had more hair), I went with two other guys to do Ellisons. I was the last one down Fantastic Pit when the hair on the front of my head got caught in the rack. I was about 150 feet down and 350 off the floor. It wasn't really any big deal. I clipped on my safety ascender (QAS) and loaded it, removed my hair, and then changed back to decending.

Changing from ascending to descending to ascending should be one of the first skills taught new vertical cavers and I really don't consider anyone who hasn't mastered this basic skill as either competent or safe to be on rope.

I wrote an article for the NSS News some years ago about the use of knifes around ropes. I also had cut loaded ropes with the same results that Scott had (however, I didn't have a video camera and there wasn't any web yet so I didn't get any cool pictures).

While I don't recall every using a knife to solve a problem in vertical caving, I have seen a number of near misses with them. Not to rehash the knife thing, they have their place, but it should mainly be in the pocket. Remember that scissors are just two knife blades attached with a pin that acts as a lever. Be very very careful.

Geary Schindel
Geary
Infrequent Poster

Name: Geary Schindel
NSS #: 15827F
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Bexar Grotto

Postby hank moon » Jan 27, 2006 10:51 pm

Changing from ascending to descending to ascending should be one of the first skills taught new vertical cavers and I really don't consider anyone who hasn't mastered this basic skill as either competent or safe to be on rope.

A-MEN! Seen too many cavers get on rope w/o a clew how to handle the tiniest hang-up. One thing goes wrong and it's rescue time. Deplorable. It's hard to believe the NSS hasn't been more aggressive about promoting safety over the years. The mentor/club approach has its plusses, but tends to slow progress toward competence.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Patricia Bingham » Jan 28, 2006 7:28 am

I found a great solution to the long hair problem at a CRF expedition at Mammoth: panty hose!! I put my tightly-braided ponytail down one leg, wrap the other leg around it to stiffen the whole thing, shove it down my cave suit and the waist band goes around my head (no, not over the eyes and face...). I use my old pantyhose for this, but once I got a slight headache from this, so maybe a pair of queen-size would be better. Also, make sure the seam doesn't go on the forehead as this can leave a sorespot.

Not only does this make my rapelling safer, but it has solved my helmet hair issues that used to require 2 hours of conditioning before I could comb my hair out. No more helmet hair for me!!

This also provides a good deal of amusement for folks passing by when we are putting on gear.
Patricia Bingham
Frequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 28, 2006 4:17 pm

hank_moon wrote:A-MEN! Seen too many cavers get on rope w/o a clew how to handle the tiniest hang-up. One thing goes wrong and it's rescue time. Deplorable. It's hard to believe the NSS hasn't been more aggressive about promoting safety over the years. The mentor/club approach has its plusses, but tends to slow progress toward competence.

I agree that there is more that the NSS could be doing to promote and teach safety. NSS safety education, promotion, and review are the responsibility of the Safety and Techniques Committee. Regrettably, the NSS has not had active and assertive STC chairmen for many years, and had a difficult time filling the position whenever it was vacant.

Not an excuse, but an explanation. Suggestions on how we might improve things should be sent to the NSS AVP. avp at caves dot org.

The NSS does publish On Rope, Caving Basics, and A Guide to Responsible Caving http://www.caves.org/brochure/ , and of course stocks other books on caving techniques in the NSS Bookstore, so cavers will have easy access to good quality information.

Some grottos have standardized basic caving safety and techniques training programs, which are an effective way to ensure a set of good info is passed on over the years to new cavers. One example http://www.cave.org.vt.edu/requirements.shtml And the NSS Vertical Section has produced a rope training course for grottos to use in vertical caving.
:off topic:
Cheryl Jones
NSS OVP
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Hair caught while rappelling

Postby verticaver » Jan 30, 2006 8:22 pm

Well, in her case, I know she learned something. that is that she was not meant to do rope work for a living or for fun. Instead, she now flies F-16s for the air force. I'm guessing she found her calling.

Your right, any good instructor should be able to tell the appropriate student to tie it back if they see a potential situation on the ground. Funny thing was with this girl, while she descended in front of the school, not only did her hair get pulled in, but in the few seconds it began to happen, it also sucked in her shirt between her breasts. :hairpull: So, guess where I had to cut a big hole around? Not to mention her having to walk around the rest of the day at school with 3 pieces of duck tape across her chest to cover up the 3 inche wide hole I had to cut out of her t-shirt! :notlistening:
verticaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jan 30, 2006 10:10 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:...I agree that there is more that the NSS could be doing to promote and teach safety. NSS safety education, promotion, and review are the responsibility of the Safety and Techniques Committee. Regrettably, the NSS has not had active and assertive STC chairmen for many years...

I agree wholeheartedly that the NSS and its sections/grottos need to do more to teach/promote safety - particularly with vertical techniques. But I also recall reading some interesting safety and techniques columns in the NSS news over the last year or two. This says to me that the STC does have a fairly active/assertive chair - but you disagree? :?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Re: Hair caught while rappelling

Postby NZcaver » Jan 30, 2006 10:12 pm

verticaver wrote:...Funny thing was with this girl, while she descended in front of the school, not only did her hair get pulled in, but in the few seconds it began to happen, it also sucked in her shirt between her breasts. :hairpull: ...

Hope you got pictures! :laughing: (Sorry - I know that's cruel and insensitive, but it just had to be said...)
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Previous

Return to On Rope!