old webbing

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby Mike Cato » Dec 8, 2005 11:42 am

My understanding is that in Korea, for instance, children are considered "1" for their first year of life. "2" for their second year and so on. Kinda makes sense if you divorce yourself mentally from the way we learned it. So, that makes me 48. Creak. Dang I feel old.
Mike Cato
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 51489
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville SCCi

Postby RescueMan » Dec 8, 2005 12:03 pm

Otac wrote:My understanding is that in Korea, for instance, children are considered "1" for their first year of life. "2" for their second year and so on.

[Continued off-topic]

So here in the US, children are zero until they're 1 ?!?! But we count the years of the calendar starting from the year 1 AD (there was no year zero).

Because of the inconsistent way we count years, most people were fooled into thinking that the "millenium" began Jan 1, 2000.

But the first 10 years AD didn't finish - and the new decade begin - until the end of year 10. And the new decade began with Jan 1, 11.

Similarly, the second century began with Jan 1, 101 - and the second millenium bagan at Jan 1, 2001.

But Americans are not known to score well on math proficiency tests, and will use any excuse for a celebration. :roll:

- Robert
aVERT
a Vertical Emergency Response Training
to aVERT disaster in the VERTical environment
RescueMan
Prolific Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Dec 8, 2005 1:22 pm

It really all depends on how you define things. What is being described is termed semantics.

In the US your age is stated in months until you have been alive 12 months. Other nations see it differently.

As for Y2K, whatever millenium it was, I made a lot of money fixing databases that began returning erroneous date calculated values on Jan 1, 2000. :)

It really has nothing to do with math, but how you describe/define the terms. Math is simply math.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Previous

Return to On Rope!