Looking To Buy A New Rack

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Looking To Buy A New Rack

Postby fireman1904 » Jan 8, 2008 4:30 am

I am thinking about buying a new rack. Right now I have a Bluewater rack with aluminum bars. I would like something with stainless bars but I dont know if i really like the ones that are just formed pieces of stainless. i know there are some with hollow stainless bars. I read something about titainium but I dont really see anything online for sale like that. Secondly I dont know if I want a full size rack or one of the smaller ones... I cave in Indiana so most of the pits dont excede much more than 100 feet. I like the rack I have but I dont like the aluminum bars mainly cause they make ropes nasty and also cause they are wearing pretty fast. Any suggestions??
Mike Woolard
NSS# 49891
HCG, ICS, ISS, SCCi, Chattanooga Grotto
fireman1904
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Woolard
NSS #: 49891

Re: Looking To Buy A New Rack

Postby ek » Jan 8, 2008 11:19 am

If you're not insistent on using a full, standard rack, I'd recommend the BMS Micro-Rack. This is what I use, and it has always worked very well for me, with different pit lengths and different rope diameters. The bars are steel, they wear slowly, and the ride is smooth. I weigh 143lbs. The longest single drop I've done with it is Surprise Pit in Fern Cave (437 feet). I've heard that once you add about 100' more to that, it can be really hard to move. For 100' drops, the micro-rack will work just fine, and it's considerably lighter than a traditional rack, too.

I use the long-frame, and that is what I'd recommend to anyone who doesn't weigh a lot. You can always push the bars closer together, or even use the hyperbar. Dual-hyperbar models are available, but I have never seen the point of that. I use the one with the single hyperbar. I have found it elegant, easy to rappel with, and ever since I learned the Bassett method of locking it off, quick and easy to lock off. It has worked well for me for controlling two-person loads, too, and as a fixed brake for lowering.
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 8, 2008 6:42 pm

I highly recommend a long frame micro rack. I have the 2 hyper bar version and like it a lot.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Jan 8, 2008 8:55 pm

I have the SMC 90 deg stainless and the micro rack. I was dead set on the SMC being the best thing since bake horny toad, but I was quickly converted to the micro rack. The micro rack seems to me to be very versatile rappeling tool and it weights less than a bake horny toad. Of course it depends on where you get your horny toad. (Just having a little fun, but I hope you get my point)
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby pacaver » Jan 8, 2008 9:12 pm

+1 on the SS long body micro. Lots of ability with shortcomings only on big drops or pull down trips. It's my favorite descender unless I plan on dropping a big one(400+).
Kevin Dunleavy
York Grotto
MAKC
SCCI
NSS
pacaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 47644

Postby ek » Jan 8, 2008 11:44 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:I highly recommend a long frame micro rack. I have the 2 hyper bar version and like it a lot.

What is the benefit of the double hyperbar?
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 9, 2008 5:03 pm

In my experiance the 2nd hyperbar is mainly a convenience feature. You can lock off without it, you can lower heavy loads without it, but it sure makes both of those things easier. In particular, lowering heavy loads using the 2nd hyperbar instead of manipulating the bars is much easier.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to On Rope!