ABC

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

ABC

Postby David Grimes » Nov 13, 2007 8:42 pm

Does anyone know if ABC (Advanced Base Camp) has a company website I have been searching but can only find online vendors.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby NZcaver » Nov 13, 2007 8:49 pm

You mean like this one? :grin:

http://www.advancedbasecamp.com/
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby driggs » Nov 13, 2007 9:22 pm

NZcaver wrote:You mean like this one? :grin:

http://www.advancedbasecamp.com/

Oh, come on, I'm sure the poster already tried typing their name into Google.

Your link appears to go to a vendor's site. The poster is obviously trying to find the manufacturer of the much-discussesd ABC chest ascender (which the vendor you've linked to does not seem to even carry).

I've personally decided to stick with my Petzl Croll until I know that ABC is a company that I'd trust my life to. I also tried to find info on them, and came up blank as well.

Edit: Perhaps this site is a distributer, as they seem to carry many ABC products, but they sure don't look like a manufacturer!
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby MessedUpMike » Nov 13, 2007 9:44 pm

This looks like some sort of mirror site for the Liberty Mountain dealer's site primarily their climbing gear selection. The give away is the link to Liberty Mountain in the lower selection panel (why advertise for a competitor?), and the fact it's basically selling the LM line. It also made my virus protection go crazy :doh:
Indecision is the key to flexibility
MessedUpMike
Infrequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Nov 14, 2007 12:44 am

driggs wrote:Oh, come on, I'm sure the poster already tried typing their name into Google.

Your link appears to go to a vendor's site.

Riiiiiight.

A vendor's site that says "Copyright 2002 Advanced Base Camp" at the bottom of each page, and has ABC's company profile in the "about us" link. The huge "dealer login" link at the top might also be a giveaway.

MessedUpMike wrote:This looks like some sort of mirror site for the Liberty Mountain dealer's site primarily their climbing gear selection. The give away is the link to Liberty Mountain in the lower selection panel (why advertise for a competitor?), and the fact it's basically selling the LM line. It also made my virus protection go crazy.

Advanced Base Camp is the climbing division of Liberty Mountain - not its competitor. Hence the link.

Your virus protection might be having issues. Mine didn't raise any red flags.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby driggs » Nov 14, 2007 6:22 pm

NZcaver wrote:Riiiiiight.

From Liberty Mountain:

Liberty Mountain is a distributor of camping accessories and gear. Nestled in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, we provide shipping services to major outdoor retailers.

At least Liberty Mountain carries the ABC ascenders, while Advanced Base Camp does not - though it looks like both websites may not be up-to-date, as their 2002 and 2003 copyright notices hint at.

Some of the ABC products are referred to as "our" products in the descriptions, including the ascenders. Perhaps these guys re-label products as a sort of "house brand"? Perhaps they're really a manufacturer as well as a distributer, and just very secretive about it? We'll never find out from the vague information on these two websites.

Can someone who has actually purchased an ABC ascender look at the packaging or literature and dig up any more info on who really makes these?
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby NZcaver » Nov 14, 2007 7:42 pm

I guess it's not unheard of that a distributor (Liberty Mountain) might own some of their own brands (Advanced Base Camp).

I'm not sure where (or when) I heard about some connection between ABC and LM. A quick search reveals a few online references to this in business reports and on a climbing forum. Some climbing items are even listed by vendors as "Liberty Mountain Advanced Base Camp Belay Device(s)..." etc. Although rather old and obscure, here's one reference written way back in 2001:

Rich Morris, manager for Liberty Mountain, says the light-and-fast trend will sustain the momentum that has built up in the mountaineering market.

Morris claims that Advanced Base Camp, the climbing division of Liberty, carries the lightest crampons, axes and ropes on the market.

"It positions us well in the mountaineering market," says Morris. "We're seeing a strong trend that the number of weekend mountaineers is increasing."

ABC carries a number of mountaineering products by Ushba, Stubai and other manufacturers. The Stubai UltraLight Universal is a very light and strong aluminum crampon distributed by ABC. Morris says that the company dropped the price on this crampon down to $99.

"With the Euro [dollar] in our favor and our insight that the market was going toward less-expensive, but still high-quality gear, it seemed the right thing to do," says Morris.

Ushba's Altai Ice Axe is the lightest tool on the market, according to Morris. Weighing just 375 grams, this titanium tool costs $225. Ushba's Basic Ascender is another top seller for ABC, Morris reports. It can also be used for top-rope soloing.

"Mountaineering has really increased our business," says Morris. "ABC doubles and triples our business at Liberty Mountain every year."

From allbusiness.com (last page).

That's all very nice, but they might want to update their website...
Last edited by NZcaver on Nov 15, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby NZcaver » Nov 15, 2007 3:41 pm

OK, I admit this has been nagging me. So here's the answer.

I just phoned ABC's 800 number, and of course got Liberty Mountain. I spoke to one of the helpful sales reps.

LM is a distributor, who also own some of their brand labels including ABC. He told me that all ABC climbing gear is made in Italy by a third party manufacturer named "C.T." The same company also apparently makes stuff for Trango and other brands.

He also told me the websites are currently being redesigned, and should be updated soon.

PS - a little more research has led me to believe that C.T. is short for Climbing Technology http://www.climbingtechnology.com/
However... their own website is currently just a front page, and everything else is "coming soon" :doh:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Return to On Rope!