Problems with My Maillon

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby hunter » Dec 12, 2007 1:15 pm

Hmm, interesting discussion. I use the omni because it is light and fast to take on and off. I tried an aluminum Maillon first and got a piece of sand in the threads which made it impossible to turn (this was putting it on after a good cleaning). I eventually had to cut it off with a hacksaw. I really like the Omni although I fully expect to replace it more often than a steel maillon. For me it is worth the money.

James
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby paul » Dec 13, 2007 7:34 am

prestonlawrence wrote:As a side note: I always carry a mini adjustable wrench as even a steel mallion can bind under load.
Peace

I use a 7mm large-opening maillon to attach the safety link from my top jammer to the bottom of my central steel maillon (Frog set-up). The 7mm maillon is perfect for cinching up the threaded sleeve of the central maillon (this is still nice and easy to turn after several years of regular usage) and can be used to undo it if it ever bacame stuck.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby prestonlawrence » Dec 13, 2007 9:41 am

So if I understand you right: the 7mm maillon can be used as an emergency wrench? Cool!
prestonlawrence
Infrequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 13, 2007 10:13 am

prestonlawrence wrote:So if I understand you right: the 7mm maillon can be used as an emergency wrench? Cool!

The old style Petzl ascenders, with the metal thumb levers, could also be used as a Maillon wrench. Just stick the nut into the top of the ascender and turn. It's not perfect but it works in a pinch. The new style Petzl ascenders, with plastic thumb levers, are just barely too small for the nut to fit. :sad: :sadbanana:

This also works on the nut of a rack.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Dec 13, 2007 5:34 pm

The top of a Simple and probably a Stop as well can be used to undo the 10mm D and delta maillons too :kewl:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Previous

Return to On Rope!