Speedy Stitcher thread and stitch patterns

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Speedy Stitcher thread and stitch patterns

Postby brrrdog » Aug 9, 2007 8:19 am

Two questions.

What is the thread of choice for stiching 1" webbing and where can I find it?

Also, I thought someone posted an old article a little while ago about a study of various stitch patterns. Can someone direct me to that? What do you use?
brrrdog
Occasional Poster

Postby firemedic1015 » Aug 9, 2007 9:50 am

There is a fairly comprehensive section on stitching in On Rope II if you have a copy available.
firemedic1015
Occasional Poster

Name: Zeb Lilly
NSS #: 56382
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

Postby brrrdog » Aug 9, 2007 11:46 am

Ok found the original post I was looking for...
[url]
http://forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?t ... c&start=15
[/url]

I do have on rope. I remember seeing all those work shops at the end of the chapters. I didn't think I saw an actual discussion on stitching but then again, I wasn't really looking.

One more question - needle size. Are most using the #8 that came with the stitcher or did you go down to the smaller #4? I practiced on a piece of 3/4 webbing and with that I think the smaller needle might be better. The 1" that I have though is made with larger thread so I could see either working.
brrrdog
Occasional Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 9, 2007 1:25 pm

The heavier the thread, the stronger it is (assuming it is bonded nylon or the waxed stuff used in Speedy Stitchers). But thicker, heavier thread is harder to work with and it may stick up above the material instead of sinking into the weave where it is more protected. The waxed stuff that come with Speedy Stitchers (sewing awls) works fine for one inch webbing.

When considering needle size, also consider the size thread your using. The eye and the little groove up the side of the needle needs to be big enough to accept the thread. So, either will work as long as your thread works with it.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby brrrdog » Aug 9, 2007 1:44 pm

Thanks scott. Generally I only hear nylon, nylon, nylon around here so I didn't even consider the polyester stuff that it came with (although that's what I used to practice and it seems plenty strong enough to me - need to test it though). Your sugestion sent me out to educate myself. Would you agree with the following?

"Polyester is very close to nylon in strength when a steady force is applied. However, unlike nylon, polyester stretches very little and therefore cannot absorb shock loads as well. It is as equally resistant as nylon to moisture and chemicals, but is superior in resistance to abrasion and sunlight"

Most info seems to agree on the uv resistance part but not on abrasion. What is your take?
brrrdog
Occasional Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 9, 2007 2:19 pm

Sounds about right. I have also heard that polyester has better abrasion resistance than nylon. But, that maybe simply because it doesn't stretch as much (?).
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: Speedy Stitcher thread and stitch patterns

Postby hank moon » Aug 9, 2007 3:01 pm

brrrdog wrote:What is the thread of choice for stiching 1" webbing and where can I find it?

Brrrdog. Whatever you are sewing, if it's PPE or for life safety, please do destructive testing on your stitching before trusting your life to it.

My experience: i used to sew my own PPE until I actually tested it and found it wanting. sorry, didn't save any data from my testing. i did save the red flag, though.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby brrrdog » Aug 9, 2007 3:37 pm

Thanks Scott.

Thanks Hank, I will.

B
brrrdog
Occasional Poster

Return to On Rope!