More micro-rack

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby NZcaver » Nov 7, 2007 8:36 pm

Yeah, but that's not rappelling. It's called fast-roping, and it works on a similar theory to sliding down a fire pole. You do use a MUCH thicker than normal rope, though.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby kmstill » Nov 8, 2007 11:08 am

FWIW-
Finally got to do some vert caving over here (Korea) last month. Everyone else was on 8's. Pit was about 20m so not too deep - but that's all they use. The rack and micro I used were a novelty.
Kelly Still NSS50801
kmstill@gmail.com
kmstill
Prolific Poster

Name: Kelly Still
NSS #: 50801

Postby MessedUpMike » Nov 8, 2007 11:30 am

I've used 8's on drops up to 25m so far. The main problem I ran into was that 8's don't like to grip smaller diameter ropes as well :doh: . With 1/2" rope though on a 25m drop the weight of the rope alone was enough to hold me in place for the first 5m or so. Maybe I should gain some more weight, and find some bigger drops......
Indecision is the key to flexibility
MessedUpMike
Infrequent Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Nov 8, 2007 6:48 pm

NZcaver wrote:Yeah, but that's not rappelling. It's called fast-roping, and it works on a similar theory to sliding down a fire pole. You do use a MUCH thicker than normal rope, though.

Yes, I was familiar with the technique just a little tounge in cheek humor. :) I've used doubled ropes through a rescue 8 and it was a LOT of friction.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to On Rope!