Petzl vs. CMI

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby hank moon » Jul 20, 2007 5:42 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:ABC Chest Ascender

Har!

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Jul 20, 2007 7:09 pm

NZcaver wrote:I would argue that one should NOT touch the catch when thumbing the cam to downclimb, lest one accidentally disconnect the ascender from the rope! In my experience, "thumbing" is best performed with the thumb (or a finger) pushing down on the TOP of the cam without touching the catch. Comments?

NZ, that is what I was taught and have taught others.

Re: CMI vs Petzl - I've never owned a CMI. I use a petzl left handed handled ascender (old style catch). Used to use a left handed jumar which I loved but had to retire it after the spring broke.

I think CMI's are good ascenders. I climbed once at a practice session with a weird ropewalker made up entirely of CMI ascenders. It worked but it felt weird conpared to a ropewalker set up with a petzl basic and croll.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jul 20, 2007 8:43 pm

I agree with NZ. Shouldn't ever touch the 'ring' on the old style (or the plastic on the new) unless attaching or detaching from the rope.

To down climb, I use my index finger on top of the cam. Helps keep the teeth from catching on the rope too.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Jul 21, 2007 7:58 pm

NZcaver wrote:I would argue that one should NOT touch the catch when thumbing the cam to downclimb, lest one accidentally disconnect the ascender from the rope! In my experience, "thumbing" is best performed with the thumb (or a finger) pushing down on the TOP of the cam without touching the catch. Comments?

:exactly:

I suggest the same thing, I also suggest that they use thier finger or thumb to push the rope away from the cam's teeth to prevent the teeth from catching. Often people are afraid to do this for fear that it will suck thier finger into the Croll but the rope is going up through the Croll not down so this isn't an issue.

<edit> Oops, Rick already said that....oh well.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby hank moon » Jul 22, 2007 12:04 pm

index finger works well - stuff it down between the cam and the rope. the nail will drag against rope sheath, so keep that nail trimmed.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby potholer » Jul 23, 2007 10:28 am

If a rope was a bit hairy and hence 'catchy', I'd probably have a thumb on top (keeping the rope and cam apart), and a forefinger underneath doing the same thing, though I do wear well-fitting medium-thick PVC gloves and don't have any great fear of my fingers getting trapped.
The bottom finger would be more a case of pushing the rope into the ascender frame with the end of the finger than the finger being used as a wedge between cam face and rope.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Jul 23, 2007 2:19 pm

Have never had the Croll catch going up the rope; if it did, I'd just tug the rope below the Croll rather than thumbing. Downprussiking is another thing of course, where thumbing rules!

As for the upper ascender, the Jumar (at least, the old one I've got) has conical teeth that are not biased downwards, so it tends to slide up hairy ropes smoother while other ascenders might catch. However it is also the case that the Jumar slips a little easier/more frequently than jammers with biased teeth.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Previous

Return to On Rope!