Top Heavy Rappellers

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Top Heavy Rappellers

Postby Mike Cato » Jul 17, 2007 1:51 pm

I'm top heavy and don't have any problem rappelling against a wall but when I hit free hang my body rocks backwards and, if I'm lucky, I finish the rappel in "couch position". Makes me worried I'll continue over backwards and come out of the harness. Wearing the harness high on the back or front doesn't help.

Any viable solutions out there? I'm in the process of losing weight to hopefully change my center of gravity but was wondering if there are any simple solutions. Almost everything I can think of ends up not working because of interfering with the rack.

Best idea, yet untried, is to get some pants with leg or calf pockets and put in a couple of rocks before the rappel to change my CG.

Ideas?

:help:
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 51489
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville SCCi

Postby NZcaver » Jul 17, 2007 1:58 pm

What type of climbing system do you use? If you use a Frog, wearing a chest harness like the one Gonzo Guano Gear shown here should provide a little upper body "balance" and support while rappelling. Plus in my experience, it's highly unlikely that you'll fall out of a maillon-type harness (like most froggers use) even if you do invert.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Mike Cato » Jul 17, 2007 2:02 pm

I've got a Mitchell system with double-roller chest plate.
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mike Cato » Jul 17, 2007 2:05 pm

Oh yeah, I've also got this harness (non-frog):

http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php? ... 5&parent=8
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jul 17, 2007 2:06 pm

Oh, I see. Maybe you could try connecting the front of your seat harness to the bottom of your chest plate with a short length of webbing or something similar?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Mike Cato » Jul 17, 2007 2:25 pm

NZ,

There's not room for the rack between the belay loop/carabiner attachment on the harness and my chest plate...

...or at least that's the way I remember it.

Guess I need to get on the practice rope and find out.
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mike Cato » Jul 17, 2007 2:26 pm

NZcaver wrote:Oh, I see. Maybe you could try connecting the front of your seat harness to the bottom of your chest plate with a short length of webbing or something similar?

That won't chang my CG, though, will it?
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 17, 2007 2:32 pm

We had a caver at a vertical session that was having the same problem--couldn't keep himself upright, easily. We tried a number of things that didn't help much. Finally, we found something that worked. He tightened up his harness. He had it snug to begin with, but after he got it tight, especially the leg loops, tight and up under the butt as far as possible, much better. I believe the loose leg loops were pushing the legs up and moving the center of gravity up and back. Higher, tighter leg loops lets the legs hang more downward, pulling the CoG closer to the rope.

If it doesn't work, at least it's free.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Mike Cato » Jul 17, 2007 2:37 pm

Thanks Scott.

I keep the belt and leg loops tight. I'll see if tighter (ow) works.

Most effective solution still appears to be LOSE WEIGHT.

:exactly:
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jul 17, 2007 3:36 pm

Well for some people "losing weight" is easier said than done. In my experience as an instructor I've always taught that as long as the feet of the rappeller (in a free hang) remain underneath the buttocks and that if their "free hand" (non-brake hand) is loosely gripping the rope ABOVE the rappel device or around the rack body itself (if using that) then they shouldn't have any difficulty in remaining "upright" during their descent.
However; most people still allow gravity to take over and pull that upper body mass downward towards earth's center. Knowing where one's center mass, center of gravity (everyone has one) goes a long way in helping this problem. It's like having the internal gyroscope in your head (everyone has one of those too) telling you when you're off from your center mass. We do this all the time while walking on level ground and up and down hills and stairs and where-ever but it's subconciously done. It's just a simple trick to bring it to the forefront of your mind and be aware of it ... among the half dozen other things you need to be aware of whilst rappelling.
This like any other SRT takes practice and even more practice... then it takes practice.

It's either that or rig a small pulley on to the/a chest harness and placed above the rappelling device. But this can cause problems in-of-by-itself.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Upper body support

Postby pacaver » Jul 17, 2007 3:56 pm

I snap a non-locking 'biner into my chest roller and then hook it into the eye of my rack. You may need 2 to accomplish this and all non-lockers aren't the same. It seems only certain ones will fit into the chest roller. I have an OR1 Hammock chest harness and this works pretty good. Of course, YMMV.
Kevin Dunleavy
York Grotto
MAKC
SCCI
NSS
pacaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 47644

Postby Tim White » Jul 18, 2007 8:09 am

I’ve worked setting up SRT rigs for folks with your “shape”. The most comfortable solution seems to be a variation on what pacaver suggested. What I have folks do is attach a small diameter cord 5 – 8mm to their seat harness, run it up and through their chest roller, then clip it into the top of the rack with a non-locking biner. Experiment with the proper length to give you the most support and comfort.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Mike Cato » Jul 18, 2007 9:43 am

All right!

Excellent input, folks.

I'll give some feedback after trying them.

Thanks.
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to On Rope!