What the?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

What the?

Postby VACaver » Jul 4, 2007 3:12 pm

I saw this picture on the cover of "Soldier" magazine and can't figure out what's up with the Figure 8.

Is the rope passing through the 'biner and not on the 8 correctly, or is this some type of 8 I've never seen?

VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Re: What the?

Postby hank moon » Jul 4, 2007 3:42 pm

VACaver wrote:I saw this picture on the cover of "Soldier" magazine and can't figure out what's up with the Figure 8.

Is the rope passing through the 'biner and not on the 8 correctly, or is this some type of 8 I've never seen?

the 8 is made by SMC (or is a copy). The rig is called "canyon" by the canyoneering community. Less friction than std rig, but (practically) no chance of girth hitch formation and reduced chance of dropping the 8.
Last edited by hank moon on Jul 4, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby VACaver » Jul 4, 2007 4:05 pm

Thanks, Hank. I figured it was something like that and not the Army screwing something up...as if THAT could ever happen :caver:
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Postby caverdoc » Jul 6, 2007 9:21 pm

Very colorful kit, considering he's wearing the ACU clothing.

I remember Ranger School in '86, rappelling in the mtns of N. Georgia and using the beloved carabiner wrap on a steel oval. I had to rappel with my Ranger buddy, a strapping lad from the 7th Infantry Div in CA, on my back. Not nearly as terrifying as when he did the rappel with me on HIS back! We also did more rappelling in Florida phase, including the only time I rappelled out of a helicopter (a Huey). Once I posted to my Ranger bn we used "fastroping" since it left the helicopter less exposed to enemy fire.

Doc Kennedy
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby chrismc » Jul 10, 2007 9:49 am

I've seen that used quite commonly. In my experience, it is called a "Sport 8". It is almost always used on double ropes, as it would create a dangerously minimal amount of friction on a single line. I've tried it on double lines (rapping off a multiple pitches after climbing Devil's Tower), and wasn't comfortable with the amount of friction it provided. Also, it transfers a lot of wear from your Figure 8 to your carabiner, which is not a place I was happy about wearing down.
chrismc
Occasional Poster

Name: Chris
NSS #: 45314

Postby DeWayne » Jul 10, 2007 10:37 am

caverdoc wrote:Very colorful kit, considering he's wearing the ACU clothing.

I remember Ranger School in '86, rappelling in the mtns of N. Georgia and using the beloved carabiner wrap on a steel oval. I had to rappel with my Ranger buddy, a strapping lad from the 7th Infantry Div in CA, on my back. Not nearly as terrifying as when he did the rappel with me on HIS back! We also did more rappelling in Florida phase, including the only time I rappelled out of a helicopter (a Huey). Once I posted to my Ranger bn we used "fastroping" since it left the helicopter less exposed to enemy fire.

Doc Kennedy

That brings back some memories. I can recall sitting around going through box loads (usually in lots of 500-1000) of those steel oval and culling out the non-rappel grade biners (it's all in how the rivet got set.) Fast roping down from a Helo, now that was fun.
Gobwats
DeWayne
Frequent Poster

Name: DeWayne Hyatt PhD
NSS #: NSS# 53694
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CDS GCG

Postby hank moon » Jul 10, 2007 10:57 am

chrismc wrote:I've seen that used quite commonly. In my experience, it is called a "Sport 8". It is almost always used on double ropes, as it would create a dangerously minimal amount of friction on a single line. I've tried it on double lines (rapping off a multiple pitches after climbing Devil's Tower), and wasn't comfortable with the amount of friction it provided. Also, it transfers a lot of wear from your Figure 8 to your carabiner, which is not a place I was happy about wearing down.

I've heard it called "sport" mode when used single line for belaying. This method is popular in France for sport climbing due to the rapid feed ability (less friction). There is generally no reason for a climber to rap in "sport mode" unless very low friction is desired (low angle rap, kid rap, etc.)

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ljthawk » Jul 10, 2007 9:42 pm

Learned something new. I’ve used 8’s like a stitch plate (small hole), but not that.

L.J.
ljthawk
Frequent Poster

Piranah

Postby brrrdog » Jul 16, 2007 12:56 pm

I beleive Petzl's Piranah is supposed to be rigged this way, but it has a couple of hooks for additional friction. Seems like a nice alternative for the canyoneering mode for an 8.
brrrdog
Occasional Poster

Return to On Rope!