Does anyone use a petzl shunt

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Does anyone use a petzl shunt

Postby gillip » Jun 22, 2007 8:09 am

The other day several friends and I had rigged some ropes in a tree and were practicing vertical. I had lent out a good part of my kit and instead of waiting, I improvised a frog system. I was using a jumar as a chest ascender and a petzl shunt as an upper ascender. It actually worked well, at least until the changeover. I then tried using two shunts. Using the shunt as a chest ascender required a little bit of tending the rope, but it worked ok. Using the shunt for an upper was not hard at all. Of course there are obvious disadvatages. It is harder to get on and off the rope, and as a result doesn't really work as a QAS. It would occasionally, but not often, slip. Wet, muddy ropes may increase the slipage. I am sure edges would be a problem. But one major advantage is that down climbing is much easier with the shunt. I was wondering if anyone else has used the petzl shunt(s) to ascend/downclimb a taunt rope.
JAG

"I think we need more data..."
gillip
Frequent Poster

Postby volica » Jun 24, 2007 2:37 pm

Well, my girlfriend uses shunt as additional safety while descending. IMHO as for ascender it would slip too much since lack of teeth or grooves on cam.
volica
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 57781

Postby Tadpole » Jul 4, 2007 1:31 am

A friend of mine recently started working in industry and on double ropes (which is apparently an OSHA thing). They use shunts as backups for decent and ascent there, so while it's not common in caving, I'd check out the industry arena for more information about them.
“I'm not a diva. I'm a tadpole
trying to be a frog.”- Toni Braxton
Tadpole
Infrequent Poster

Name: Rebecca Land Segrest
NSS #: 49605

I started with a shunt

Postby E-man » Sep 11, 2007 12:10 pm

My first ascender was a shunt. It works well, and because it has really good leverage, the lack of teeth does not really matter that much on wet, muddy ropes. I used it as a chest ascender for a while, but the drag on the rope makes it really suck. It is also a pain to get on and off rope with the damn thing. I use a croll these days. The Shunt is a good ascender, but there are better ones out there.
Peace, Eli
E-man
Infrequent Poster

Name: Eli Ren
NSS #: 52671
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cascade Grotto

Postby Stridergdm » Sep 11, 2007 1:52 pm

Tadpole wrote:A friend of mine recently started working in industry and on double ropes (which is apparently an OSHA thing). They use shunts as backups for decent and ascent there, so while it's not common in caving, I'd check out the industry arena for more information about them.

Yes, OSHA requires two ropes, the second is strictly a safety line.
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Return to On Rope!