Rope diameter?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby JoeyS » Jun 19, 2007 9:18 pm

Steven Johnson wrote:
JoeyS wrote:I know that karst sports sells 3/8 and 7/16 static line, FWIW.

Yeah... 3/8 is about 9.5mm, and 7/16 is about 11.1mm... surely there's something in between those two? :-) (Or am I being too picky here?)

Oops I was off but I know I've seen 10 mm static line being sold by at least one caving vendor, if that's what you're after. Maybe a quick google search will do ya good :grin:

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Jun 19, 2007 10:55 pm

JoeyS wrote:
Steven Johnson wrote:
JoeyS wrote:I know that karst sports sells 3/8 and 7/16 static line, FWIW.

Yeah... 3/8 is about 9.5mm, and 7/16 is about 11.1mm... surely there's something in between those two? :-) (Or am I being too picky here?)

Oops I was off but I know I've seen 10 mm static line being sold by at least one caving vendor, if that's what you're after. Maybe a quick google search will do ya good :grin:

InnerMountain, and On Rope have 10mm their conversion to inches calls 10mm rope 3/8" :? (should all be metric :nyah: )

IMO 10mm is the best compromise between wear resistance, handling and weight, good stuff. :kewl:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Steven Johnson » Jun 19, 2007 11:20 pm

fuzzy-hair-man wrote:InnerMountain, and On Rope have 10mm their conversion to inches calls 10mm rope 3/8" :? (should all be metric :nyah: )

Ah, that makes sense. Googling around, it looks like OnRope has static 10mm ... they don't list the brand but since they give the choice of "ez-bend" and "max wear" I'm presuming it must be PMI...

(at 10mm I think I would definitely go for max-wear :-)
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby NickfromWI » Jun 30, 2007 9:15 pm

Why use such a thin diameter on SHORT drops? The pluses of thinner rope (lighter weight, taking up less space) seem like something you'd want to take advantage of on a loooooong rope.

love
nick
NickfromWI
Infrequent Poster

Previous

Return to On Rope!