What is the strangest ascending system you have seen used?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

What is the strangest ascending system you have seen used?

Postby gillip » Apr 22, 2007 9:25 pm

I recently saw a caver ascending with a Petzl ascension rigged as a chest ascender and a stop as a foot ascender. The stop was rigged the same as for descending but attached to the foot with webbing and a krab and the tail end of the rope was run through a krab attached to his harness, which was a tied webbing harness. He had done an excellent job tying the harness. At any rate, he would hang by his chest ascender and bend his knee while pulling on the tag end of the rope to raise the position of the stop, then he would stand. He wasn't extreemly slow, but not fast either. To make this stranger, you don't need to climb rope out of the particular cave. You can easily climb along the wall. He told me has also used a mini triaxon (sp?) pulley in a similar fashion, using the progress capturing feature to move it up the rope while attached to his foot. I would hate to do a changeover using that system.

This was the strangest system I have seen. What is the strangest ascending system that you have seen?
JAG

"I think we need more data..."
gillip
Frequent Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Apr 22, 2007 9:45 pm

:? Um, what was the pont of his system? did he tell you what he was trying to achieve? Was he just trying to save weight by not using a chest ascender?

As far as wierd ascending systems go, sorry I don't have too much to add, the wierdest I guess have been when we have had supposedly experienced vertical cavers show up and they have no attachment from thier hand ascender to thier harness so they were relying on thier chest ascender as thier only attachment :shock:. We pretty quickly told them the problem :grin: and that they had better fix it before they can come on another trip.

We don't have very much variety in ascending systems here pretty much everyone uses a frog. A couple of ropewalkers but nothing else.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby gillip » Apr 22, 2007 9:57 pm

He told be that he had to buy a descender and he might as well use it in his ascending system. Obviously he was not too concerned about safety. If his chest ascender became detached, he would be left hanging by his foot. At the car, I showed him my frogging setup, explaining how it functions better and is safer than the system he was using. He seemed insulted by my advice and told me that his present system was safer than what he used to do: climb a manilla rope with no assistance. Also, the rope he was using had a tag on the end that said not a lifeline, breaking strength 2,000 lb, working load 200 lb. He was a steel worker. I have heard that alot of steel workers don't like any safety because it limits their mobility.
Last edited by gillip on Apr 22, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAG

"I think we need more data..."
gillip
Frequent Poster

Postby adleedy » Apr 22, 2007 9:59 pm

gillip wrote:He told be that he had to buy a descender and he might as well use it in his ascending system. Obviously he was not too concerned about safety. If his chest ascender became detached, he would be left hanging by his foot. I showed him my frogging setup, explaining how it functions bettern and is safer than the system he was using. He seemed insulted by my advice and told me that his present system was safer than what he used to do: climb a manilla rope with no assistance. Also, the rope he was using had a tag on the end that said not a lifeline, breaking strength 2,000 lb, working load 200 lb.

WOW :shock:
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Apr 22, 2007 10:06 pm

:hairpull: I guess some people are determined to kill or injure themselves.

If he had a mini Traxion he could have used that as his chest ascender and used the Ascension for his hand ascender and he would have had a frog.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby NZcaver » Apr 22, 2007 10:25 pm

gillip wrote:He told be that he had to buy a descender and he might as well use it in his ascending system. Obviously he was not too concerned about safety. If his chest ascender became detached, he would be left hanging by his foot. At the car, I showed him my frogging setup, explaining how it functions better and is safer than the system he was using. He seemed insulted by my advice and told me that his present system was safer than what he used to do: climb a manilla rope with no assistance. Also, the rope he was using had a tag on the end that said not a lifeline, breaking strength 2,000 lb, working load 200 lb. He was a steel worker. I have heard that alot of steel workers don't like any safety because it limits their mobility.

:eek: That's one of the more interesting climbing systems I've ever heard of, that's for sure. Not to mention that non life-safety rated rope he was using! Judging by your description he's obviously not a caver - at least not in the vertically competent sense of the word. Unfortunately he might make a good candidate for a rescue though.

Sounds like if he just bought a Croll for the chest, swapped the handled ascender to his hand, and changed around the rigging of his system (adding a safety), he'd be all set. Pity he seemed insulted when you offered advice. Some steel workers might not like safety gear cramping their style, but if they get caught without it by OSHA or other site safety inspectors... bad news for them and their company.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Apr 23, 2007 9:04 am

gillip wrote:He told be that he had to buy a descender and he might as well use it in his ascending system. Obviously he was not too concerned about safety. If his chest ascender became detached, he would be left hanging by his foot. At the car, I showed him my frogging setup, explaining how it functions better and is safer than the system he was using. He seemed insulted by my advice and told me that his present system was safer than what he used to do: climb a manilla rope with no assistance. Also, the rope he was using had a tag on the end that said not a lifeline, breaking strength 2,000 lb, working load 200 lb. He was a steel worker. I have heard that alot of steel workers don't like any safety because it limits their mobility.

Guess we're just going to have to read about this guy in ACA and Darwin Awards. :doh:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Re: What is the strangest ascending system you have seen use

Postby hank moon » Apr 23, 2007 5:04 pm

gillip wrote:What is the strangest ascending system that you have seen?

Double-bungie ropewalker :tonguecheek:

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby baa43003 » Apr 23, 2007 5:36 pm

What is the strangest ascending system that you have seen?

Climbing up a dead tree that had been pushed into the pit.
Nothing's as precious as a hole in the ground.
-Midnight Oil

"Alright, who let Bonny on Cavechat? Is there a manager I can speak with?" -- that Bartlett guy
baa43003
Frequent Poster

Name: Bonny Armstrong
NSS #: 43003RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: American Caving Accidents editor NSS Membership Committee

Re: What is the strangest ascending system you have seen use

Postby Dane » Apr 23, 2007 6:06 pm

hank moon wrote:
gillip wrote:What is the strangest ascending system that you have seen?

Double-bungie ropewalker :tonguecheek:

You are SUCH a traditionalist, Hank!
What about us poor old, fat guys????
Actually I am seriously thinking about getting a Frog - after a couple of pull-down trips, you really start to appreciate the simplicity!
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby Bobatnathrop » Apr 23, 2007 9:10 pm

baa43003 wrote:
What is the strangest ascending system that you have seen?

Climbing up a dead tree that had been pushed into the pit.

Bwhaha, Hey whatever gets ya out of the cave.

-Jeremy
Bobatnathrop
Frequent Poster

Postby Adam Craig » Apr 24, 2007 8:45 am

My aunt is the state forensic anthropologist for Kentucky... On one investigation, she was lowered in and out of a pit by tow truck :rofl:
I'm spiralling down to the hole in the ground where I hide - R. Waters
Adam Craig
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 48556
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Shallow Grotto

Postby Princess Butterfly » Apr 24, 2007 9:32 am

Adam Craig wrote:My aunt is the state forensic anthropologist for Kentucky... On one investigation, she was lowered in and out of a pit by tow truck :rofl:

They used to winch the base jumpers out of Golindrinas.
See you on a long rope soon,

Princess Butterfly
52240SU

"Happiness is a butterfly, which, when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you." Nathaniel Hawthorne
Princess Butterfly
Occasional Poster

Postby Rick Brinkman » Apr 24, 2007 9:48 am

I've heard of people being lowered on a rope into a 200'+ pit. Then to pull the "spelunker" out, 8-10 people would grab the rope and run down the hill. :shocked:
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby baa43003 » Apr 24, 2007 9:57 am

Trespassers once used a long piece of chain link fencing to climb into and out of one Arizona cave.
Nothing's as precious as a hole in the ground.
-Midnight Oil

"Alright, who let Bonny on Cavechat? Is there a manager I can speak with?" -- that Bartlett guy
baa43003
Frequent Poster

Name: Bonny Armstrong
NSS #: 43003RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: American Caving Accidents editor NSS Membership Committee

Next

Return to On Rope!