Rigging a tree for practice

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby graveleye » Aug 10, 2007 1:33 pm

ROPE PRACTICE AT TIMS HOUSE!! :kewl:

I don't have an attic - just the roof... probably wouldn't be a good idea structurally.
I've thought about asking my work if I can use the warehouse to rig, but I'm sure they would freak out on liability issues.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Stridergdm » Aug 10, 2007 1:52 pm

Tim White wrote:Well the “living room” is really what Berta calls the “rope room”. Open a full two floors tall. An eye bolt is all that shows. It is backed up to a well fabricated steel anchor system in the attic. All of this is them backed-up with cable and turn-buckles to rafters. Solid!

Maybe I'll take some interior photos this weekend and post them here.

Please do. That would be interesting.
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Tim White » Aug 10, 2007 5:18 pm

Anchor through ceiling. Stainless steel screw-links, Petzl swivel, SMC 4” stainless steel ball bearing pulley.

Floor anchor. Lag bolt into floor joist. Rappel (belay) spool. 1700 ft. PMI rope.

Photos of the rigging in the attic will have to wait for cooler weather. It is 100 degrees in Atlanta again today. :shock:
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 10, 2007 5:56 pm

:bow: awsomeness :bow:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby johnlhickman » Aug 10, 2007 9:59 pm

Tim,

You are missing one thing... a flat screen TV mounted on the wall to watch TV while you climb;)

For me, I have two trees rigged outside for climbing. I keep thin nylon accessory cord in the trees. When I am ready to climb, I pull a climbing rope up with the cord. I then climb and rig a pulley. This is a trick that I learned working at a ropes course. I wouldn't want to leave gear up all the time due to weather and animals.

You can get different color string that will help camouflage the it (black is pretty good). For several years, I had binders twine up in the trees in a local park. I don't think the park employees ever knew it was there.

For placing the pulley in the tree, I will sling the limb (usually horizontal) and put both sections of the webbing and the pulley in a triangular screwlink. I just reverse the process when done.

Right now, it's too hot to climb outside. Going to a pit Tuesday night instead.

The trees are in our backyard, but I can climb up above the buildings behind us. Growing up, I was blessed with oak trees that were close to a hundred feet tall in our yard, one was almost 15 feet in diameter. When my parents moved, I left a lot of string up in the trees (the trees had grown into the cord at the top and I couldn't pull it down). I don't recommend leaving tight chain around a limb. It's not the healthiest thing for the tree and before you know it the tree has decided to grow over it.

John
johnlhickman
Frequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Aug 11, 2007 9:39 am

wow Tim, that is really :kewl: !!! I would have to have a structural engineer to tell me if I could do that in my house. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a good idea given the design I have.

Hey looks like you wouldn't have much trouble changing the lightbulbs in that fixture though!!! :-)
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Previous

Return to On Rope!