On Rope Checklist

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 26, 2007 11:53 pm

L Lambert wrote:"I've seen someone 'suicide' rig a harness at a demo we were involved with. Fortunately only one bar popped and he grabbed something solid in time."

How many bars do you use on your harness? Perhaps you are referring to rigging a rack backwards? Not trying to be picky but we might as well understand what we all are talking about. :grin: Leo

Yeah, I probably should have said rack there (though was sort of thinking the whole "thing" since we were talking about having people check your netire setup.)
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby ek » Apr 3, 2007 5:53 am

Stridergdm wrote:What's "On-rope!" really mean there?
Break that down;
Upper ascender correctly attached to rope, cam on rope and catch released: CHECK
Croll on rope, flat against chest, cam on rope and catch released: Check

I figured subter intended this to mean to remember to yell "On Rope!" before getting on rope or (when preparing to ascend) entering the rockfall zone; and that "Off-rope" meant to remember to yell "Off Rope!" after getting off rope and (when one has just descended and if possible) leaving the rockfall zone.

As for the breakdown of what to make sure to do when getting on rope, I would add that the long cowstail or whatever is being used to tether the upper ascender to the harness should be kept untangled with (not twisted around) the rope.

When it comes to the descending category, I would add that one should check one's descender to ensure that it is properly loaded. In particularly, if it is a rack, that it is not loaded backwards (in a suicide rig), and also not upside down (with the braking side of the rope coming out the top--an embarrassment rig).
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Previous

Return to On Rope!