Rigging Lava Tubes and Pits

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Rigging Lava Tubes and Pits

Postby Aaron Addison » Mar 21, 2007 2:27 pm

Does anyone have any experience in rigging lava tubes and more specifically cinder cone pits? Are there any resources on the topic?

Thanks-

AA
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Re: Rigging Lava Tubes and Pits

Postby Caverdale » Mar 21, 2007 3:47 pm

Aaron Addison wrote:Does anyone have any experience in rigging lava tubes and more specifically cinder cone pits? Are there any resources on the topic?

Thanks-

AA

I have been down a few lava tube pits and cinder cones. They are rigged just like any other vertical drop. The only possible two things that I can think of that might be different: Lava can be as sharp as broken glass. If there is even the slightest chance that the rope will rub use adequate padding. Also, often it is impossible to find a natural anchor. Drilling a hole for a hanger can sometimes be a bit more time consuming and energy-intensive than drilling in limestone. Take a battery-powered hammer drill. I've never seen anything specifically written about rigging vertical drops in lava.
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dale Green
NSS #: 3669FE, LB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Salt Lake Grotto

Postby Aaron Addison » Mar 21, 2007 3:53 pm

Thanks Dale-

The latter is definitely the problem. The rigging situation is that there are no natural anchors for 100s of meters in every direction. It's like rigging in a gravel pile of cinders.

AA
Aaron Addison
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 21, 2007 4:01 pm

Would stemming (is that the right word?) be an option? A length of treated 4x4 wedged in somewhere? How about a line of stakes in the floor? There's always a bubba anchor--a big boy or three planted solidly with the rope tied around them.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Aaron Addison » Mar 21, 2007 4:54 pm

See the image below for an example of the rigging problem.

AA
Aaron Addison
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 21, 2007 5:14 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Would stemming (is that the right word?) be an option? A length of treated 4x4 wedged in somewhere? How about a line of stakes in the floor? There's always a bubba anchor--a big boy or three planted solidly with the rope tied around them.

Stemple is the word I think you're looking for.
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 21, 2007 5:24 pm

Aaron Addison wrote:See the image below for an example of the rigging problem.

AA

Lots of stakes driven far from the pit at an angle.. then LOTS of padding to protect the rope.

Problem isn't rigging so much as no really easy way to do high-help w/o making the rigging problem worse.
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Mar 21, 2007 7:38 pm

If you can get your vehicle close enough you might try making an A-Frame by whipping and frapping two 8-10 foot redwood logs together and using your vehicle as the stability anchor. The apex of the A-frame can be leaned out a bit over the edge to keep the rope off the rocks. If vehicle access is a problem then your want of a bomb-proof anchor is definitely a sticky. Know how deep the pit is? How far is the pit's edge from the road... too far (over 100 feet)? Hmm, definitely a sticky one.
I dunno, what else to tell ya. Sorry.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Tim White » Mar 22, 2007 7:38 am

4x4 mono-pod for high-help with pickets for anchors. Back-tie...back-tie..back-tie...then back-tie some more.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 22, 2007 10:38 am

Tim White wrote:4x4 mono-pod for high-help with pickets for anchors. Back-tie...back-tie..back-tie...then back-tie some more.

Exactly.

(Actually I was thinking a bipod may work a bit easier, but same basic idea.

Lot's and lot's of pickets and back-ties.

Where's that order form for PMI now? :-)
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wormster » Mar 22, 2007 12:22 pm

Could you not construct some type of 3 legged A frame over the hole?

or maybe something of here might help:

http://www.gemtor.com/retrieval.htm
Madam in the morning I will be sober, but you will still be ugly.
Wormster
Frequent Poster

Postby RichBCAG » Mar 22, 2007 12:47 pm

The other thing to be mindful of is rockfall from the lip. Because lava tubes are so close to the surface, the lip area is almost always unstable.

Be super-careful about how the rope lies in the landing zone. I'd go so far as to minimize the amount of rope on the ground so the rope is just touching down (if you can see the bottom of the pit). I've ropes cut almost all the way through with Basalt rockfall.

Leading the rope out of the fall zone isn't enough if the first person in kicks something loose. All the edges of basalt are sharp enough to slice through a rope from a height of just 15'.
RichBCAG
Infrequent Poster

Name: Rich Bohman
NSS #: 50283
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Arizona Grotto

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Mar 22, 2007 3:30 pm

RichBCAG wrote:The other thing to be mindful of is rockfall from the lip. Because lava tubes are so close to the surface, the lip area is almost always unstable.

Be super-careful about how the rope lies in the landing zone. I'd go so far as to minimize the amount of rope on the ground so the rope is just touching down (if you can see the bottom of the pit). I've ropes cut almost all the way through with Basalt rockfall.

Leading the rope out of the fall zone isn't enough if the first person in kicks something loose. All the edges of basalt are sharp enough to slice through a rope from a height of just 15'.

If that is a real concern... (and it really is a good one) then stuffing the rope into a rope bag and having the first person dangle the bag off their harness where the top of the bag just barely reaches the bottom of their boot(s), then garden the ledge well so that problem shouldn't occur.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby RichBCAG » Mar 22, 2007 4:46 pm

I guess I had bad luck. My rope got split in half as the next-to-last guy was climbing out. The rock (a 5-pounder) came out of the middle of the thin lip (gardening from the top wouldn't have been possible) and happened to land on the rope as it was snaking away out of the fall zone to its protected overhang.

Watching from well out of the fall zone, I was astonished with the rock's ability to target my rope. When the festivities were over and I got close enough to inspect the damage, I discovered it had split 2/3 of the core. I'd never seen a rock do that to a rope before. Basalt vs. limestone.

Then I was happy that the bit of rope between the ground and the top was still OK.

:)
RichBCAG
Infrequent Poster

Name: Rich Bohman
NSS #: 50283
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Arizona Grotto

Re: Rigging Lava Tubes and Pits

Postby NZcaver » Apr 22, 2007 7:22 pm

Aaron Addison wrote:Does anyone have any experience in rigging lava tubes and more specifically cinder cone pits? Are there any resources on the topic?

Rig a highline, then drop a rope from the middle of it. You will need to construct some really bomber anchor systems on each side, and be fully aware of the mechanics of highlines and of negotiating horizontal/sloping tyrolean traverses.

This is the type of rigging used to drop the deepest open-air pit in the US - an 862-foot cinder cone on Hawai`i's Big Island. :shock:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to On Rope!