Croll replacement

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 15, 2007 6:06 pm

I DO NOT recommend the Anthron. I got one a while back because it was $5 cheaper. It has a bad tendency to NOT catch onto the rope. I think that it needs more twist at the attachment point.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby caverdoc » Jan 15, 2007 7:45 pm

Rick
I'd banish that Anthron to foot ascender in a rope-walker rig. That'll teach it a lesson! :tonguecheek:

Dr K
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 17, 2007 6:34 pm

I already made a 'foot harness' for it, but haven't used it much.
I have thought about sticking in in a vice and giving it the twist that it needs...only thought about it though.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby caverdoc » Jan 17, 2007 6:47 pm

Rick
If you get hold of Joe Oliphant up in Ronan (mmmmmmm, Flathead lake) he may have a photo from our 2002 International SRT training in the Tetons, showing a Polish caver with a Croll rigged as a foot ascender.

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Marlatt » Jan 18, 2007 10:31 am

My frog uses the CMI Shorti, which unfortunately I don't believe is still in production. Here's a picture from Gary Storrick's Vertical Devices site (http://storrick.cnchost.com/VerticalDev ... Home.shtml):

Mine are the original Shorti's, as shown in the top row. The Shorti is a pretty decent ascender (very wear resistant), but the safety is pretty awkward. If you tune your system properly, it works well.

Way back in my early days, I actually used a frog based on Gibbs ascenders. Being of limited resources, I wanted a system which would use the same gear that my ropewalker used. I used a free-running Gibbs on my seat harness, with a bungee clipped to the cam lanyard and run over my shoulder. My foot ascender used a spring-loaded Gibbs. Obviously, it was slow to get on/off rope, but it climbed very well.

swm
Psalms 95.4 / Proverbs 25.2
Marlatt
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 19583
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado

Postby GoHighGoDeep » Mar 7, 2007 4:28 pm

I've heard of people filing down the top few points on the cam of the croll to make it less likely to catch when you've thumbed it down. I'm not sure I'd recommend doing this, buuuut just putting the potential out there...

As for downclimbing, there's nothing that will teach you about using your system better than learning to downclimb on it. I've been known to downclimb short pitches in caves if the only descender I have with me is a rack... plus there's always the 'emergency use' factor: you can downclimb a weighted rope, you can't rapell on it though.
c'mon, you can fit through that
GoHighGoDeep
Occasional Poster

Name: Andrew
NSS #: 53832
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville and Cleveland

Postby hank moon » Mar 7, 2007 4:44 pm

GoHighGoDeep wrote:I've heard of people filing down the top few points on the cam of the croll to make it less likely to catch when you've thumbed it down. I'm not sure I'd recommend doing this, buuuut just putting the potential out there...

Avoid "thumbing" the Croll and use the index finger to keep the teeth away from the rope. Works very well (unless you have sausage fingers). Snagging not a problem.

GoHighGoDeep wrote:As for downclimbing, there's nothing that will teach you about using your system better than learning to downclimb on it. I've been known to downclimb short pitches in caves if the only descender I have with me is a rack... plus there's always the 'emergency use' factor: you can downclimb a weighted rope, you can't rapell on it though.

One of the nice features of a rack is that it can be used to rappel a loaded rope...

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 7, 2007 5:08 pm

hank moon wrote:One of the nice features of a rack is that it can be used to rappel a loaded rope...

:exactly: :yeah that: But, don't try it unless you have practiced in a controlled environment and know what is going to happen. It can be very dangerous.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby paul » Mar 8, 2007 8:03 am

As I am fairly unfamiliar with using racks, how do you abseil on a loaded rope (other than very carefully) using one?
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby hank moon » Mar 8, 2007 8:40 am

paul wrote:As I am fairly unfamiliar with using racks, how do you abseil on a loaded rope (other than very carefully) using one?

i think you've got it with the italics. Lolo bar count. I've never done it underground - only under controlled conditions (i.e. indoors) with a 250# load on the rope.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Seamus Decker » Mar 8, 2007 2:46 pm

This is a bit tangential to the topic of this thread, but since there are some verti-gurus in here, I'm curious to hear what you all will answer to this question: what is the most compact/lightweight but also versatile and safe SRT kit (for use in mostly long horiztonal caves with remote pits)?

I caved quite a bit in TAG and used a Frog with the croll, Petzl harness, hand jammer combo. I'm just getting back into caving, and probably should throw away and replace all my old vertical gear. I'll likely replace the frog system for truly vertical caves.

However, during my last five years of active caving (1998 to 2003) I got mostly into Kentucky/CRF survey work. There are pits of up to ~150 feet, but that is rare. In fact, pits of 50 feet are fairly uncommon, and long trips on the order of miles to get to pits are common.

Just about the time I got inactive (2003) we were all sort of challenging each other to who could come up with the most compact, lightweight, versatile (as in faster to put on rope that knots) and safe rig. I think my buddy Pete Zabrok who is an El Cap aid climber probably won the prize.

His rig was a frog with a croll chest with elastic cord for a chest harness. and a hand jammer for the foot sling (prolly a petzl IIRC). Sit harness was a loop of 1" tubular webbing with a D-loop closure. Can't recall if the loop was sewn or tied, but getting rid of knots reduces quite a bit of bulk. All his slings were sewn stuff chosen from his aid climbing kit rather than using tied pieces (eliminating bulk from knots). For abseiling, we all used a small/medium pear shaped steel locking carabiner with an R-knot (muenter hitch).
"Sittin' in a cave as black as midnight,
Cause I got a brand new plastic Justrite
Oozing off the front of my hard hat."
_Plastic Justrite_ Cave Ballad by Barb MacLeod (1973)
Seamus Decker
Frequent Poster

Name: Seamus Decker
NSS #: 32936
Primary Grotto Affiliation: University of Massashusetts Outting Club

Postby Tim White » Mar 8, 2007 4:08 pm

Seamus- A very good question. So good, in fact that I am going to start a new topic. I see this may generate a lot of informative post. :kewl:

See new topic: What's the most compact/lightweight SRT rig?
Last edited by Tim White on Mar 8, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Seamus Decker » Mar 8, 2007 4:11 pm

Cool, thanks Tim :)
"Sittin' in a cave as black as midnight,
Cause I got a brand new plastic Justrite
Oozing off the front of my hard hat."
_Plastic Justrite_ Cave Ballad by Barb MacLeod (1973)
Seamus Decker
Frequent Poster

Name: Seamus Decker
NSS #: 32936
Primary Grotto Affiliation: University of Massashusetts Outting Club

Previous

Return to On Rope!